Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Online learning - will it replace the classroom ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnicho02

Programmer
Jul 20, 1999
GB
<i>This question has been posted in the &quot;Where is Technology Going In The Next 5 Years&quot; forum. Members of this forum may wish to take part in this discussion.<i>

i do not see this as likely. most of the old guys(gals) will recall this discussion when beta/vhs recorder equipment became widely available. it's just another tool. it is just as likely to benefit trainers in prepping attendee's for the basics and allow trainers to focus on the more critical elements of a topic. i say nifty.

I have to agree with the response that it is just a tool in the entire arsenal of training. If the course is highly technical, the best approach is still Instructor Led Training (ILT). The is especially true in the area of technical training for courses involved in programming languages.

Our company is looking to move from ILT to web or CD delivered curricula. I see two problems with that approach (Aside from the fact that I won't be as busy! <grin> ;-) ) and they are: 1. No immediate feedback from the course if there are questions. This can result in frustration and loss of momentum in the completion of material. 2. Many ILT courses run 40 hours, so what is the best way to modularize these traditional courses into alternate delivery media? How should it be packaged? Also, how large is the student base which will be utilizing these classes - will it even be cost efficient to retool?

Well, thanks for letting me get this off my chest. <grin> B-)

I myself would jump at the chance of on-line training, but it would come down to cost and and quality. I think there should also be people at the web site ready to assist whenever needed.

This would be great as you have a whole world of possible courses. [sig][/sig]

Just another thought, I personally understand more in a class room environment where I am practically trying stuff. [sig][/sig]

I am planning on adding on-line training to my web site this year but will still spend the bulk of my energy doing face-to-face training.
People really like having a human to talk to. I think that, with some exceptions, people will learn more when they have someone to modulate the pace and change things as needed to regain their interest. If it's required training and there are both CBT and classroom options I believe the better rate of retention of material comes from the classroom.

The ironic part to this I is that I am a lousy student. I just can't sit still in a class all day. Yet my job requires me to study on my own 2-3 days a week and my husband has to remind me to eat if I'm really focused (I'm just odd I guess).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back