Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Online Learning For a Busy Guy Looking For CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcnetgeek

IS-IT--Management
Sep 15, 2004
US
Hello all, I live in NY. I'm really considering the online learning method these days. My schedule is pretty consistent and I'm home usually by 7:30PM. It makes getting to any classes in NY impossible. Weekends are hampered with the family & kids. My weeknights though are pretty easy if I had to force myself to attend online schooling. Book studying when I get home is pretty tough unless I had a course layed out for me to follow. Maybe a mentor program.

I currently work as a sys admin transitioning to the company network engineer and the pressure for cisco certs is heavy. I know i can pass the exam with the education, but the self-studies isnt going to get me there. I work with our cisco equipment daily. im responsible for keeping our network going and connecting all of our networks (not an over-complicated one). I use cisco support very often to help get my tasks accomplished and luckily the techs are great with assisting in support as well as a small education session. What they usually teach me sticks with me and can be and has been used in the event we have a similar need in the future. So I know I can learn it.

What I know I need to learn are the basics; anyone can google the commands and how2s for CLI commands to get things happening, but i know i will fail essentials and fundamentals if i dont focus on them.

The job is willing to pay for the certs, but not the course; they just cnat justify right now sending me and loosing me at the job at the same time.

So can anyone recommend any of these distance learning programs for a guy like me?

Thanks in advance..

You might try CBT direct, they are pretty good. You should definately give Edulearn.com a click. Their stuff is really good.

Thought I'd update this thread and let everyone know that I have become a certified CCNA and on my way to becoming CCIP!

I did attend a bootcamp course, 5 weekends instead of every day for a week. This gave me the time to consume and build on what I learned the prior week!

Thanks for everyones help!

----

Get in where you fit in and squeeze in where you need to fit in..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back