Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Online form

Status
Not open for further replies.

edd1eg

Programmer
Jun 27, 2003
GB
Hi there,

I am designing a website for a self-drive hire company, and they now want the user to be able to fill in all their details and which car they would like then pick a data and calculate how much it would add up to, how hard would this be to achieve this?

They also want the user to be able to pay online, maybe using something like paypal to do that part, i also know yo uhave to create a merchant account, which my client is going to do in a few days.

I created a form for a company, a couple of months ago, but got stuck when what to do for payment details, this was all done using javascript.

here is the link for the one i did

thanks for any help

edd

Could you add a little more detail about the requirements of the website?

1) What is a self-drive hire company?

2)"they now want the user to be able to fill in all their details and which car they would like then pick a data and calculate how much it would add up to"
--What does this even mean? Pick which car they want for what? Pick a data?? Calculate how much what will add up to and to do what?

Hi there,

thanks for responding to my question, well a self-drive hire company is were you can hire or rent cars or vans etc etc for an x amount of days or hours even.

Here is a site which is a self-drive hire company which rents out their vehicles.

Something along the lines of this would be appropriate.

Although the user would not have to login or anything like that. Here is the way the form would be laid out

-----------------------------------------------------------

Name:

Authrosation code:

Date of Birth:

Address:

Telephone:

Driving Licence No:

Capacity:

Date Of Test:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Something along those lines, then with maybe a drop-down menu giving you the list of different vehicles and picking a date to hire the vehicle, then after that it would calculate up their price, then they would pay for this, using credit card or paypal.

thanks for any help

edd

edd,

Taking in the user information will be the easy part. It will be more challenging when they select the car and pick a date to hire the vehicle (i dont know where you're from but here we say *rent* a vehicle =P )

First you will need to create a database and populate it with the cars that this company has available. Then you use that database to populate the drop down menu that you want on the form.

The hardest part will be when they select a hire date. I guess this could depend on the requirements of the hire company, but I'm guessing they don't want people to be able to select a date when the car is already hired right?

So you will have to setup a method to check if the car is already hired OR if someone else already selected that same car for the same dates. -- this will be most difficult.

Calculating the price should be pretty easy too. Just keep the renting rate of each type of car in the database and use some server-side script to calculate the price for you.

Sounds like a fun project! good luck!

lovejaeeun

Hi again,

Do you know where i could find any tutorials or code in asp for taking in the user information, and also for calculating the purchase.

Would you need to use a database for this?

thanks

edd

This is a great place to get started. It has tutorials on ASP, ADO, SQL, and VBScript

(Would you need a database for this?)
This depends on the requirements of your client. You don't have to store user info in a database, you could just send it as an email.

You are probably going to need a database to store information about the cars your client has, the price it costs to rent each car, and when the car is/has been rented.

The language that you use will be determined by the web servers you will use, or maybe vice versa. ASP will only run on IIS servers.

So far I only have experience with IIS servers so if you go the same route, this is what you will need to learn/know.

ASP - Creates the dynamic pages for your site
ADO - Allows you to interface with your database
SQL - Language used to query the database
VBScript/Javascipt - You can use this to do your calculations.

You will also need to learn about database design concepts so that you can create a proper relational database.

3 weeks is pretty tight to do a project like this on your own.

Just out of curiosity, how many vehicles does this company have to loan? are we talking under 100, 100-999, or 1000+

And how many hits are you expecting per day?

About 25 vehicles they have got.

I'm not sure about how many hits they are going to get though

thanks

edd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back