Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Online Degrees - Any one doing it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

franksoprano

Technical User
Apr 13, 2002
US
Has anyone here persued getting a online degree from one of the many online sources?? After looking over them and viewing the course curiculium they look tempting since they are to the point with just teaching what pertains to the field..

Whats everyones experiences with them? Pros / Cons?

Thanks

I would have loved to just work (even full time) and gone to school. When I decided to go back to college, my kids were 3 & 4, I kicked my husband out, had to switch to working part-time and had a full course load (12 - 15 hours) every semester for 3 1/2 years (spring summer (ok only 6 hours in the summer) and fall).

So imagine, getting up at 5 every morning, getting two small children & yourself ready, drop them off at daycare, get to school, go to class for 4 - 5 hours, go to work for 4 - 5 hours, go pick up the kids from daycare, go home, cook dinner, feed and bath the kids, put them to bed (it's now about 8:00 pm) and start homework, go to bed around 11 - 12, and get up at 5 to start all over. (I'm exhausted just remembering!!)

Now if I hadn't had kids I could have kept working full time, but as a single parent I had to make some sacrifices (including massive student loans that I'll be paying on FOREVER!).

So the argument that it's tough to work full time and go to school, just doesn't hold water with me. And just for the record I graduated with a 3.46 GPA.

Leslie

Leslie,

GodBless you! :p

But see the thing is my working full time is 15 hours a day..

Ok frank, if you're working 15 hours a day I guess that's really 2 full time jobs. So yes, working two full time jobs and trying to go to school would be difficult.

Hope you make a GRIP of money working that many hours a day!

Leslie

I will add to Leslie's comments. I attended school full time, while raising a family, and worked a full time job. I still manged to pull off a 3.11 GPA and that was with a growing family, ie 4 children, wife, would go to work at 7am, work til 4- 4:30, be to school by 5:30 and in class til 10 or so, stay up and do homework until midnight. Then do it all over again. Although the nice thing about the University of Phoenix, you focus on one class every 5 to 7 weeks, so the assignments are not too difficult.

However, before this, I did attend full time at a University...so i was busy.

Mark C. Greenwood, CNE
m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com

With more than 10 years experience to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back