Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Online Catalog Creation - Best Practice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbtman

Programmer
Jul 13, 2007
I was hoping that someone could give me some advice or direction on the best practices when displaying an online catalog.

Basically I am now sitting with an aspx page that has picked up a products datatable with rows of products and related information.

Now I am looking for the best way to display that information on my page outside of having to do a bunch of writelines that design a table.

Direction appreciated!!

use a gridview object or any of the data objects. set the gridview to use that datatable.

David Kuhn

dpk136 covered the controls. You can use a GridView if you'd like, or other controls like the DataList or Repeater depending on your needs.

As far as "best practices" that dpk136 didn't cover, I'd recommend turning ViewState off for performance, paging for large resultsets, and various caching techniques (Output Caching especially) if you have a high-traffic site and are making good use of the QueryString (you can have downlevel proxies cache your pages for each unique QueryString).

MCP, MCTS - .NET Framework 2.0 Web Applications

Thanks for the input folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back