Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

online backup though dsl

Status
Not open for further replies.

mygmat123

Technical User
Jun 28, 2004
US
I just ordered Small business server 2003 and I need a backup solution to backup the delta's(changes) to a remote server also with Small business server 2003 through a dsl line.

What is the best/least expensive way to backup just the changes of the exchange server and SQL server to my remote server through my DSL line.

I've been looking at many software programs, but they are all around $3000.00 which is more then I can afford. I'm hoping to spend < $150

The purpose of this back up is disaster recovery. I just need to backup the information, files/databases/emails, etc.

Any help is appreciated.

THANKS!

You just want Exchange and SQL backed up?

Does the transfer need to be realtime and automatically update the other server, or can it perhaps send a backup job to the remote server and restore the job manually?

Neither of the above options are very easy. Typically you have to either pay for a solution one way or another, or settle for backups on removable media of some kind that have to be restored in the event of a disaster.

If you don't have a large amount of Exchange or SQL data, you could use EXMERGE and a SQL export to pull changed data out of both applications, and import it on the remote server...

Thank you for helping me out.

Exmerge might work, I just googled it. It looks like it merges two exchanges servers. But will it work over DSL and how much data is two much?

In addition, can exmerge be automated, and what is the process?

It doesn't normally merge two servers, directly - there's a step in between.

It is fully scriptable though, and the amount of data sent would equal the size of the mailboxes, unless you trusted EXMERGE and your own work enough to do it incrementally (like move each day's new content at night). Bulk EXMERGE work usually concentrates on entire mailboxes.

So yes, you can script it. The amount of data moving across and how long it takes....entire mailboxes may be too much if you have more than a handful of users. Having EXMERGE pull incremental data out might work, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back