Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

oninit error : cannot open chunk /dev/online_root

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoctro

Technical User
Mar 29, 2001
US
17:37:08 Cannot Open Primary Chunk '/dev/online_root', errno = 2
oninit: Cannot open chunk '/dev/online_root'. errno = 2
oninit: Fatal error in shared memory initialization
17:37:08 Informix Dynamic Server 2000 Stopped.
17:37:08 mt_shm_remove: WARNING: may not have removed all/correct segments

Does anyone have this error ?? and how do you resolve it ?

Thanks

hoctro,
You do not say what type of OS you are operating and whether you are starting an existing instance or creating a new one.
The first thing I would look at in Unix, based on your error messages, are the permissions on the chunk /dev/online_root - they should be 660. If the permissions are OK (again in Unix) take a look at your error message files from the system for messages involving your chunk. These are in various places for different Unix boxes (e.g., Sun has them in /var/adm/messages).
If this is not Unix (I don't recognize Dynamic server 2000 - maybe that is for Win 2000?) I'm not sure I can help you.

richman

I do not know hoctro run on what OS However, I encounter the
same error message too when i tried to start to create a new instance and i am sure it is not due to the permission . I am running informix engine run on redhat 6.2, help please???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back