Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

One-X tab in OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

heathersuzanne

Technical User
Jan 8, 2007
US
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have MOC integrated with 1-X Communicator so that you can use the microsoft presence indicators and chat together with the benefits of Avaya call features and CAC, together on one user interface? I understand you can have a 1-x Tab on the MOC client and I'm wondering if its worth it... I dont like how right now I have a tool for chat and presence and then I have another tool for click to call and voice...

Looking for opinions on this, as we just rolled out MOC and we disabled click to call since we couldnt control it, then we rolled out the 1-x communicator but it doesnt give me presence without a presence server.... Merging them would be wonderful, but too much to ask??

Thoughts?

I've been thinking about rolling this out... though when the new MS client comes out "Lync".

What do you mean "could not control it" ?

Wildcard

Hi!

It was the lack of call admission control on the Microsoft tool that we did not like when we originally tested the telephony features. We much preferred the telephony and call processing features and capabilities from the Avaya approach.

But with the Avaya Approach (one-X communicator) we dont have click to chat, we dont have presence, and all its seeming to do is to make calls using my desk phone (I have fingers) or a headset. To Combine these two would be the best of both workds, and I understand it can be done after some more reading. I just have to test it out.

Everything I've read says that RCC won't be supported by Microsoft Lync for Avaya One-X Communicator. Your probably better off not trying to integrate OCS with Avaya when neither party will support the integration.

krnec, thank you so much for responding...do you have any links to the discussions around Lync and the impact it would have on the integration?
I'd love to better understand it.

I guess if Microsoft and Avaya wont 'play nice' the way I was hoping, then I have to pick one of these interfaces and make it work. I'll either have to get Avaya One-X Communicator to have the presence and chat capability, or I'd have to move to the microsoft tool and deal with MSFT's idea of telephony (ick).

Have you had to make this choice, and which way would you recommend? if you could do it all over again?

You won't find many sites that talk about RCC integration between OCS and Avaya. Mainly because neither Microsoft nor Avaya will support it in the future releases if something goes wrong. Microsoft is trying to replace your PBX so you could conceivably end up supporting two totally different Telephony architectures by yourself. Plus you'll need to purchase Enterprise CAL's for every OCS user on top of needing an minimum of 4 servers just for IM and presence to work. If you don't have tons of help integrating OCS and supporting your current PBX I personally wouldn't do it. I wasn't given an choice at my previous employer and that was the main reason I left for another job.

Here are some links off the top of my head but I'll post more later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back