Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

One-X Communicator on Win 7 64 Bit - Won't Install 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

J1121

MIS
Dec 12, 2002
US
I have 2 machines. A home PC with Win 7 64 bit and a laptop with Win 7 64 bit. One-X Communicator 5.2 SP3 will not install on either one. I installed the C++ stuff that came WITH the One-X download first, but still no luck. No matter what I try it complains about the C++ not being installed. I have all the .NET and other requirements Avaya's site mentions. Still no luck. Any ideas? I can get it installed on a virtual machine on my Win 7 system (Windows XP Mode) but of course it doesn't like NAT so that doesn't do me any good. I really NEED to get this working...

From Avaya's site:

Avaya one-X Communicator R5.2 SP3 is a full installer, as such it can be installed by itself.

Following installation upgrades are supported from:
R5.2 with Service Pack 2 Patch 1 – Product Version 5.2.0.17
R5.2 with Service Pack 2 – Product Version 5.2.0.16
R1.0 with Service Pack 5 – Product Version 1.0.0.99

Avaya one-X Communicator R5.2 SP3 Product Version 5.2.0.19 requires the following installed software applications:
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package ATL Security Update Version 8.0.59193 (required for Avaya one-X Communicator R5.2 SP1 and later)

This specific application is included in the 'onexc_5.2.0.19.zip' file. The 'vcredist_x86.exe' can also be found here, under File Name:

NOTE - Avaya one-X Communicator is a 32-bit application that runs on 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems.

This version 8.0.59193 of 'vcredist_x86.exe' is required for both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems.
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (required for Avaya one-X Communicator R5.2 and later)

Avaya one-X Communicator R5.2 SP3 Product Version 5.2.0.19,

'onexc_5.2.0.19.zip' contains the following:
vcredist_x86.exe
onexc_setup_5.2.0.19.msi

C++ sets environment variables for the system. You may want to compare those from the working instance to the non-working one. The biggest environment variable it sets is where the installation is located. This could be a problem say if the installer installed C++ in Program Files (x86) and reported it being in Program Files.

Yeah I was wondering if the installer just didn't know where to look for the Visual Studio stuff that is already installed, but you would have thought Avaya would have taken that into account and made it so the installer would check places like C:\Program Files (x86). I guess I'll probably end up having to call Avaya and get their help installing it. We're moving everyone to Win 7 64 bit so there has to be a way to make this work, otherwise one-x communicator will be useless to us and that will be extremely frustrating, given that we now have rights to a license for every user. Wasn't a big deal before since we only have 5 softphone license but now that we have a few thousand, that changes things....

Ok, here's the solution. I had to uninstall EVERY version of Microsoft Visual C++ and then reinstall the version of Visual C++ that Avaya includes with one-X Communicator. Now the test as to whether this breaks anything or not comes when Windows Update finds newer versions of Visual C++ and wants to install them. We'll see :)

Anyway, one-X Communicator is installed and working now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back