Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

One user vs. OWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdminGreg

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2004
US
I'm running Exch 2003. Everything in OWA is working perfectly... except for one user. My one user cannot login to OWA at all, not from inside the network or from outside the network.

This is what happens...

He types in his user name, enters in his password and it sends him to the 'Error: Access is Denied.' page. I have verified that he is using the correct username and password, and OWA access is enabled on his mailbox.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be?
thanks.

Has the mailbox been initialized yet? That is, has this user logged into his mailbox using Outlook?

yes, many times. his outlook mailbox is working normally, but he is unable to login via OWA. It's almost like it's not recognizing his username or password. I've reset his password in AD and still no change. He is in the same OU as every other user of OWA also. i'm stumped.

I have a user that can login and he just sits there till it logs him out. Then he has to enter 'domain\' before his username. Not sure if it helps, but good luck.

that doesn't work either. he's authenticating to the correct domain, it's just not recognizing the user, or so I beleive.

thanks for the help though

Stupid question, but, what browser does he use to connect? We have some Mac clients, and I know that Safari on the Mac will not authorize to the server.

Tom

he's using Internet Explorer to try and connect.

another stupid question, but have you had him go to a computer that is known to work with OWA and have him logon there?

Yeah, I've tried from a few different computers both withing the network and from the internet. I've been going though permissions and everything looks the same as it does for the accounts that work.

Any more suggestions would be great cause I'm stumped.

Is the user using OWA to connect to the e-mail account tied to the users AD account or are they trying to access another e-mail account they have permission to through OWA?

He is trying to access the e-mail account tied to his AD acount.

Just curious have you tried to both diable OWA permissions on the AD account and then reactivate. Also another option would be try disabling the AD account and then reanabling it. Sounds like somewhere along the way its dropping the auth. Also have you tried to add an admin to the permissions to the mailbox and can that admin connect to the mailbox via OWA? Just some suggestions.

I had implemented Imap4 and POP3 and it disrupted the owa process...i disabled the services meaning just stopped them and owa worked again. Make sure to see if your user is using pop3 or imap4.....it could be preventing the access to owa.

goodluck

I had this problem with a couple of user accounts. I ended up deleting and recreating the user accounts and reattaching the mailboxes after I recreated the accounts. I can't explain the behavior, but this fixed it. I don't know if is an appropriate fix for you, but it worked for me.

PSC

I don't know if this issue has been resolved yet, but have you checked that the user's alias and his login id match? This can usually present an issue logging in remotely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back