Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

One user on network gets lots of spam

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaftoe

Technical User
Oct 3, 2004
US
One user (Outlook, 2000 or 2002) on our network of about fifty gets a lot of spam. The admin says it is not an Exchange problem. A lot of users got spam about a year ago but the problem was solved, except for this guy. I don't know where to start. I have admin passwords but not for the Exchange server. How could this not be an Exchange problem? The user is a senior exec, and presumably no less careful with his email address than many of our other users.

If he's a senior exec try googling his email address. I did that for one of my bosses who was getting more spam than anyone and his email address appeared in a google search for no less than 5 organizations which he belonged to. Some of the organizations had posted the email addresses of members on their web site without notifying the member first.

Cheers.

Sweet idea but no luck. One hit, our website, right next to everyone else's address.

you cant setup spam filtering on his local workstation?

We had a similar thing at our company about 12 months ago where one of our receptionists was getting loads of junk email. Then I noticed she had smiley icons in her outgoing emails and realised she'd foolishly installed the HotBar application. I don't suspect your exec would do such a thing though...

Auger, I could but no one else has it (to my knowledge), and we hardly have any spam.

Fletch, good point, off to look at his toolbar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back