Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

One user can't access OWA 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicnarf

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2003
CA
Hi,

I have a single Win 2k domain with a single exchange 2000 server. I have several sales people who connect to our exchange through the web and OWA to get their mail... except one guy. No matter what I try still won't authorize him. Everyone else works.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Check to make sure his account has authority to log on to the Exchange server.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Could you tell me specifically how I can do this? His permissions and group memberships are identical to the other sales people as they were created froma template.

Thanks.

Go to the users account tab in his ADUC object and click the log on to button to see what systems he can log onto. If All Computers isn't check, then you have to specifically include the Exchange server. If All computers is checked, then what specifically is the error message you get when you try to log on to OWA as this user?

Thank you for your reply.

He is enable to log onto all computers. I specifically enable logon to our exchange server. Same result.

There is no error log. When I enter his username and password I just get the logon dialogue box again immediately with his username still present but password cleared. After three attempts I get "HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized"

With any other account I get instantanous access.

just wondering did you enable the http protocol for that user? if I remember correctly it is under the 'exchange advance' tab you need to enable the advance view from the property menu first to see the 'exchange advance' tab.

Hi,

Thanks you for your response. The HTTP protocol is enabled. I disabled it to test with the same result. I am getting to the point of just recreating his account from scratch.

If your user is entering his usename/password/domain and it comes back with an empty password, that tells me, 99.9% of the time, that either the username, password or domain is wrong.

Examine the users Account tab to make sure they are entering the proper alias, then, if you have to, reset the password and try logging on to the mailbox yourself.

Hi,

I have tried all that. I have used both his alias and his user account name. I have reset his password as well. It does look like an authentication issue. I just can't figure out where it is failing.

Thanks for your continued help.

Hi Sicnarf

Did you get this working, because I have exactly the same issue, and it is really beginning to bug me!!!

I got round it once by deleting the account and re-creating it, but only for it to stop working a few days later!

I don't believe it's and authentication issue, as I've just logged onto the box ok, and can get access via Outlook.

Any help???

Matt

I've also tested using \\<servername>\exchange\<username>
and this does not work with any accounts, including Administrator. It prompts for username and password and then dispays &quot;The Page Cannot be Found&quot;, so looks like authentication has worked but just can't see the mailbox?!

Are there some configuration steps required in IIS?

Made some progress...

This is now solved and was due to the following:

When I created a new user I was editing the SMTP address to a new one. But IIS uses this to link back to Exchange, but because I had changed it it couldn't find the account. So I added back in the original SMTP address as a secondary one and it worked fine.

Still can't get \\<servername>\exchange\<username> to work though!!!!

Thank you! Worked like a charm. I scoured the MS site for hours but never came up with that KB article.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back