Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

One person with accidentally with two accounts, two emails- need one

Status
Not open for further replies.

dutycalls

IS-IT--Management
Sep 25, 2006
US
A staff member in a school was set up in AD account as Julie LastName this past school year. This was an incorrect spelling of her real name, Juli, but she let it slide until the beginning of this school year and now she needs it changed to her correct name (Juli). Thus, another user account and associated email accounts were set up as Juli, thinking this was a different user. Now. we have one user that needs to merge/move or whatever her exchange mailbox Julie (which has alot of data!) to her new name, Juli.
How can I make both of these email mailboxes be just one, the Juli LastName mailbox? I have researched this and can find no way to do this that makes sense.
Thanks!

Delete the new account and rename her old one instead.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

There are no more PDC's! There are DC's with FSMO roles!

You may want to make sure that she keeps the SMTP alias just in case someone e-mails her old address. But Davetoo's right. Kill the new one and rename the old. Add new SMTP alias for the correct name and make it primary. That should solve your problems.

cckens

"Not always my best shot, but I hit the target now and then"
-me

Thanks, all. This is what I ended up doing after talking to an experienced tech- before I got your msgs. I logged on as JXXXX user name for the computer logon and, started Outlook as Julie and exported her many emails to a .pst file, (had to delete the Julie account since the logon is the same -first initial, last name- as the correct new one). Then created the new Juli computer logon (it hadn't been made)- it still is JXXXX for user name and - and started Outlook as Juli. This mailbox had just a few emails, and I imported the old emails, from the wrong name, into this correct mailbox. Then will delete the old email mailbox to finish. Will add the SMTP alias Julie.XXXX to the Juli account.

What I want to know, by renaming both her computer logon and her email, would this not have messed something up? I'm not sure exactly what steps your suggestion would have entailed. There was the one computer logon to begin with, the Julie (as JXXXX) that had a Julie.XXXX mailbox associated with it. Then later the Juli.XXXX mailbox was added and started being used. That was what was confusing.
If you can outline a better way this should have been done please do- The problem was making sure that all the emails were together in one box.

Thanks again for all your help!

Not unless there was/will be someone with the same alias as her old one. The logon is essential. She could have continued with the old login with just a new SMTP alias to reflect the new e-mail. The old SMTP alias is there as kind of a pointer, it says that this account will accept mail from both SMTP addresses. However you would have had to remove the old Exchange mailbox before you could create the alias.

Steps I would have taken:
Exmerge new mailbox juli.xxxx to get PST
remove new juli.xxxx-based login and mailbox
add SMTP alias to jxxxx account and make it primary
move PST into Outlook.

Since Outlook would query the sever looking for login jxxxx, it really doesn't matter what the e-mail address(es) is(are). This would have been a little less work, but you did it the way that worked for you. That's what mattered.

cckens

"Not always my best shot, but I hit the target now and then"
-me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back