Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

One of my servers is invisible to others 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclebenny

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2001
US
there are 5 servers in my only domain. all are visible in server manager. the newest one can not see the others in network neighborhood. the others can not see it. they all can ping it (and find, computer..) and vice versa. all workstations in the domain can access it. i can find no difference in configuration between it an the second newest, which does not have the problem. any ideas???

Thiers some questions I have to ask?
Is the new computer added to the domain or is it a stand a lone server. The other things is thiers is a profile template which hides servers or workstations from network view. Try loading poledit and use the adm and common templates and check the local profile registery. You must be logon as an administrator. ( uncheck hide from network view ) reboot the system and wait about 15minutes to let wins replicate the computer name amount the servers. Also what services are running on your computer ?

To guest99 - thanks for your response. Here are some answers to your questions:
1) It's added to the domain. In server manager on the PDC the new one shows as "Windows NT workstation or server" as do all 3 that are not PDC nor BDC. Same is true in server manager on all of the servers. "Freegate", my internet server is the only thing that shows in the domain under network neighborhood or NT explorer.
2)Poledit - so far I've found nothing set for hide, but I'll keep looking.
3)Services - Computer browser, Netbois interface, RPC configuration, Server, SNMP service, Workstation.
4)In the last couple of hours, while I was looking at various things, the whole list of servers showed up fleetingly (30 seconds or so) but dissappeared when I reopened Network Neighborhood or NT Explorer.
Again, thanks and I hope you have some more ideas.

Are you sub-netting using routers? I had a similar problem when I split a Domain in half using one machine as a router.

Put entries in the lmhosts files on each Server to tell them about the others. Make sure the PDC ( Domain Master Browser ) has all the entries correct and reload your caches using nbtstat -R at the command prompt.

Domain Controllers need #DOM and PDC will need #DOM:domain name

If you are using WINS forget all that and double check that each machine has the correct address for the WINS server.

Might be a long shot but it worked for me.

Good Luck

Check your network mask. We had this issue on a recently-installed server.

wallerkr:

A wrong (non-matching) Net Mask will make a new host totally unaccessible.

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I found a bad subnet mask one one of the servers, on which I had recently reinstalled NT 4.0 and messed up the mask. I stopped that server, applied service pack 6.0 to the PDC (to make it like the others) and restarted it, then restarted the machine with the corrected mask. Everything was perfect on Sunday morning, so I went home. Monday morning it was as if I had done nothing; none of the servers saw any of the others. After some more fiddling on my part, things are now pretty good. The PDC shows only two of the other servers and another sees all but the newest one. The remaining three show all others. I guess I can live with that because everything seems to function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back