Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

One NIC multiple IP addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramada

IS-IT--Management
Jun 6, 2001
PT
Can I use 2 different IP addresses in one NIC on W2k (or W2k3) like, for example, 192.168.1.1 and 172.16.1.1?
I have configured one NIC on W2k with these 2 IPs and there was no complain. So I think it will work, right? Yeah, I know that can only have one Gateway. No problem with that. I just only want to know if it is possible.

One more question: Supposing that the above is possible, if the NIC is connected to a VLAN in a switch I presume only one IP will respond (because VLANs are usually associated with one IP subnet). On the other hand connecting it to a layer 2 switch wouldn't represent a problem.

Can someone help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

In my experiance, one nic can only hold one ip at a time, unless the nic is designed to hold more than one cable connection, in which case each cable connection would have its own ip address.

You can bind multiple IP's to the same network interface, i dont think there is a limit of how many you can do.

I think 255 IP's is the limit for W2k. My problem is not with the IP limit... but the different IP address ranges (192.168.1.x, 192.168.2.x,...,172.16.1.x, 172.31.1.x,...) to what the NIC can be associated. I already have several NIC's with multiple IP's in the same subnet.

Ramada,
Yes, It's doable. The only problem is that you have to either have only one gateway address OR if your brave enough mess with the route table. I had two diff subnets on my web box so that people could send messages to my tivo with out sticking my tivo (an unpatched linux server hooked up to a TV) in public domain.

Let me know if you need more help.

Scott Heath
AIM: orange7288

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back