Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

one laptop - two networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

scroce

MIS
Nov 30, 2000
US
I have a laptop that I want to be able to use interchangeable between two separate and distinct networks. One is my own company, and one is my client's company where I spend a good amount of time.

I tried to do it on my own and was successful being able to log into my client's network, but I seem to have lost all the settings for my company's network. -

From reading other posts I think I can do this via hardware profiles?

If so Is there a tutorial or a procedure list published anywhere on the 'net or maybe at microsoft's site that will help me accomplish this?

many thanks.

SC Q: Why is my computer doing that?
A: Random Perversity of Inanimate
Objects

scroce,

Just happened to come across this the other day and remembered just now where I'd seen it. Check out the part about making a hardware profile and also the copy, rename and delete which will help make it a little easier on you.

Hope it helps. Let me know.

Hi thanks for the link - it was helpful

all right - here's the deal:

bottom line - it doesn't work.

details:

i was able to successfully create the two hardware profiles, but this alone will NOT allow you to configure your laptop to log into two separate networks that don't have a trust relationship.

I'm not sure this can even be done - the issue is that even with more than one hardware profile, the operating system remains configured to match only one network - i.e. domain membership and nic settings.

I thought maybe you could do it with hardware profiles if you had two nic cards, each one configured to the settings on each respective network. and enabling or disabling them as appropriate in each hardware configuration. This however still does not address the issue of the win2000 installation itself - it seems that you aren't able to (at least easily) dynamically configure the OS to change domains without having to go thru the joining process each time you log into a new network.....

unless.....

maybe you can do it by having your laptop configured to a dual boot - i.e. having two separate operating systems on it - and choosing which one to load at boot.

Has anyone ever tried this? Q: Why is my computer doing that?
Objects

scroce - you are correct!

If you have disk space, a mult-boot machine would 'solve' the problem - as each operating system can belong to its own domain.

If this is just a matter of being able to access, then all you may need are two IP's and Gateways. Check the FAQ area and you'll find a quick-n-easy description of how this is done. If it is a matter of domain membership, then you'll have to go with another option (like a 2nd Hardware Profile with the other network's membership information).

Are both networks NT/Win2K based or are you in a Banyon/Novell/UNIX/etc... environment on one or the other?

HTH
Geo

Doh! Just noticed it is DEFINITELY two Domains. Sorry. :
Okay, now that I have a better handle on it I think the dual boot path is about it. Basically, you're wanting membership in two Domains simultaneously and that's a no-no. Dual boot would solve the problem without actually solving the problem. How often you need to access this secondary (client) Domain will determine where you install the secondary OS area (a second drive, a removable device, smae drive, etc...). I've used bootable CD's with a stripped-down Win2K installed to it for some special applications but it's pretty slow starting up. I haven't experimented with the FireWire Flash-Drives, but if they can be made bootable, that would give enough throughput and access. They're coming down in price and going up in capacity. Anyone know if FW Flash-memory drives can be made bootable?

HTH,
Geoffrey

You could try Net Switcher. Its third party software that saves all your network profiles on one PC, then you just choose.

Hope this helps.
Corie

Dual boot seems like a long way to go. How about saving the registry in 2 different versions, and just restoring whichever registry works with the particular domain. It may be possible to go a step further, use Inctrl5 from PC MAG to see where in the registry is changed when you change the domain and just save those keys as reg files, and import whichever one is appropriate. Good luck

Without going 3rd party like netswitcher, there's no way to do this in Windows 2000 without dual booting, or exporting very specific registry files. I got it working using registry exporting then prompting the user with a choice of which profile (registry file) to merge in at logon, but it was NOT worth the effort whatsoever. It's easiest to just use netswitcher.

thats my 2¢ pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

i think i'm going to try one of the software switchers since I really don't have a reason for a dual o/s boot. I'll try to post back with results.

Many thanks for all of your responses - it really helped me clarify a plan of action - also I would have never known about NetSwitcher.

SC Q: Why is my computer doing that?
Objects

well, after reading the FAQ - i may have a problem with netswitcher working in my particular environment - doesn't mean other folks wouldn't be able to use it just fine, but it still seems that you have to have the permission to join a domain (which I don't at one of my locations, and it's doubtful I could get it...) as part of your nt account.

check out the following NetSwitcher FAQ:

Q: Why is my computer doing that?
Objects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back