Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

One Hub can't talk to the computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadySlinger

IS-IT--Management
Nov 3, 2002
US
Hello,

I currently have a network that has a hub with 2 computers on it that connects in the network closet. I also have one computer that connects to the network closet. Both currently point to the same router and talk to each other.

I've been trying to switch these computers to a new router, but when I set the IP settings the same (static IPs, same gateway, same DNS settings) The computer that connects directly to the back can get internet access, ping the router, etc. BUT when I go to the computers attached to the hub, neither have internet access, neither can ping the router or the "lone" computer.
I have double checked my TCP/IP properties and all match up with the lone computer who has internet access.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!

If I understand you correctly you set each system to the same IP address. Each system needs a different static IP address. Are you receiving an error screen saying a conflict has been discovered when you boot the systems up? If so, that would be where your problem is.

I am sorry if I misunderstood you.

Sorry I didn't make that clear...

They do have different static IPs all within the range of the ISP.

Thanks!

Just to make sure, depending on wether or not there are uplink ports, sometimes you need a crossover cable to connect the router to the hub. I hope I'm not just stating the obvious that you already know. I always carry a crossover cable with me, just in case. The user manuals should say how to cascade with a hub, also on some routers you cannot use the last port if you are using the uplink port. I hope by some miracle this helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back