Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

one domain or two domains 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmoe

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2004
US
I have client with a Windows 2000 and five users. They need a new Windows 2003 server to run a specialize application. It seems that to join the two into one domain requires several additional steps to be done on the 2000 server -- with the potential for problems.

With a small number of users is there a real advantage to having a single domain?

L.M.C.
IT/MIS

Joining the 2003 box to the 2000 network is no different than joining an XP workstation or Windows 2000 Server.

You ONLY need to take additional steps if you want ot make the server a DC. Join the new server as a member server and you won't have any troubles.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

I thought I had to run adprep and several other programs first. Then, on another forum I read about all sorts of little issues that could further complicate things.

LMC
IT/MIS
"Never stop learning.

You only need to run ADPREP IF you want to make it a DC.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

I am in full agreemnet with markdmac. Very solid advice.

Van

Got it... if the 2003 server is NOT a DC, it can just join the 2000 Server domain. No need to run anything special. Thanks.

LMC
IT/MIS
"Never stop learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back