Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

One Computer on the Network can not log on

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikehpp

Technical User
Mar 6, 2003
US
One computer on our network is unable to log onto the network. I check the physical connection and that is not the problem. When I try to log in I get:
"The system cannot log you on to this domain because the systems computer account in its primary domain is missing or the password on that account is incorrect."

I have gone to the server and reset the computers account and still can not log on.

Any suggestions?

Hi might sound simple, but have you removed this PC from your server? if not try deleting it from the Server, and re adding, may be change the IP address of the rogue machine and allocate new IP address, then add this machine to the server.

I did remove the computer from the server but that didn't help. Even though it says that I can't log into the domain, whenever I turn the computer on it gets allocated an IP address (through DHCP).

I have 30 computers that are not having any problems. This one was fine until yesterday.

I'm having the same type of problem. It is an XP Pro system that I rebuilt over the weekend. I can map a drive to the server but when I try to join it to the Domain I get the error. I have been looking into this all week.

Doug

I also have the problem. Mine is alittle different I think. The PC is a new XP pro laptop. I give it all the necessary info it needs: static IP address, Subnet mask, Gateway, DNS. It won't join the domain! Gives the error that the domain controller is not available (it is up and running). If I look at the details it mentions DNS and that the address may be wrong (it is not).
I can ping my IP and get a successful loopback but I can not ping the DNS server or my gateway. When I look at the connection it is sending packets but of course not recieving any.
I created a computer account for it on the WIN 2000 domain controller and also tried a different IP address. It will not join the domain. I am getting frustrated having joined several to the XP PC's to the domain with no problem.
Any help would be much appreciated!(-:

I may have the same problem.

When I go to "computer name changes" in my computer to join a domain I keep getting an error message.

&quot;The Following error occured attempting to Join domain '<my_domain>'. The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.&quot;

Other workstations are linking to the server just fine, execept for these two. I've checked cableing, tcp/ip addresses, computer name and uninstalling and reinstalling the NIC.

any suggestions what could be wrong?

All I can suggest is to use the troubleshooting tips on msdn.microsoft.com for winxp. See KB article 314067.
Hope this helps.
Paul

All very strange. I have had what sounds like the same problem twice, with 2 different resolutions.

1 - Found the computer account on the server was causing problems, I removed that and manually re-created it on the server.

2 - Although cabling appeared to be fine (link lights etc) there was a broken wire in the cable.

other than that, there isn't much to say.

I could suggest some of the obvious -
- When you are logging onto the domain, you are selecting the domain, not the local machine.
- Try setting the administrator pass on the local machine to the same as the Admin password for the domain.
- Use known good cabling (I like to just plug the new workstation into the cabling running to an existing known good workstation)
- Try pinging the server - if you can't ping the server, you have either TCP/IP probs or cable probs or NIC problems.

i don't know how if this might work with your cases but i had a pc once that wouldn't connect to the domain. the static ip address i was using was correct with the dns and the gateway and everything (not that they would matter anyway). i could ping the server and other pc's but it just wouldn't join.
just as a try, i disabled the lan connectiong from the Network and Dial-up Connections and re-enabled it again and it worked. don't know why, but it worked.
some of our pc's used to drop the network connection and that was the only way to get them back on.

Take the computer out of the domain (to a workgroup), reboot, remove the computer from AD and DNS server, make sure the DNS server on the computer is set correctly (or that the DHCP server settings are ok), join the domain.

Try deleting the computer from the PDC then rename the computer to a differnet name and try rejoining the domain.

Mike

In My Situation, The system was working great until I installed XP then SP1a on it. It was 2000 before the upgrade. I have removed the computer from the domain and set it up again.

Is this something to do with XP SP1a???

Thanks

Doug

I seem to have the same problem. It is a Win XP Pro machine, with all the updates. When I try to join a domain, it asks for a user who has authorization to do so. It connects to the server just fine cause it notifies me when I enter the wrong user/pass. But when I enter the correct one, after about 20 seconds it displays an error message - &quot;The specified server cannot perform the requested operation&quot;.

Curiously enough, on another network, it connects to the domain just fine, however it randomly disconnects after an hour or so, from the domain. That is the reason we replaced the computer for a while and brought it to our office for testing and inspection. Only to discover that here it doesn't connect to the domain at all. It can browse all of the shared network resources, including the servers. Other XP computers on the network work fine.

Wether these problems are connected I have yet to find out. I did a totall reinstall to the aflicted XP machine, but the problem persists. I do not know yet if it's the same on the other network with the periodic diconnects.

One more thing to note is that I connected our regional Microsoft support and the guy on the other end of the line after a few minutes of asking questions admited that his computer (Win XP Pro) has the same problem with the periodic disonnects from the domain and the loss of shared network resources.

The computer that we replaced the problematic one with is working fine,(Win XP Pro) so there should be no problem with the cables.

So does someone have any more thoughts on this ?

I have just transfered 40 machines(XP and win 98) from Netware to 2000 server. If you cant connect to the domain I found it is usually that the DNS entry in the network TCP/IP properties is not set to the server holding the DNS with your 2000 style domain reference. The machine then cant find the Domain you are after. (Some of our looked at the internet gateway not the new servers).

I also had one machine that screwed up the computer entry on the server so it needed deleting etc. Remember to use the old fashoined domain name for the computer part not the new one (i.e. if your network is BAGGINS.NET the old workgroup one is BAGGGINS).

Finally if you are working on Win98, reboot after removing any network components before you add the new ones! Not doing so runs the risk of an IO Subsystem error and a visit to the cupboard for the disks for a re-install.

All the best.

Regards

I saw this problem once on a network. Windows 2K server SP3 and XP pro clients. Firstly I flushed the DNS cache (ipconfig /flushdns) on the client and then uninstalled the NIC and re-installed it. The machine even had the same IP assiged to it by DHCP but it all worked fine after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back