Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ONe computer on my network is unable to access my computer, it is ther

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaySwint

Programmer
Aug 31, 2002
CA
i have my computer networked and the one computer seems to be unable to access me computer. It is says that it does not hav epermissions, but when iwent and looked, i have no permissions set for it in XP and it is unable to find my dads computer on the network when I do try to set up the permissions for it.

have you tried add extra accounts to the computers to you are able to connect? or you could enable the guest accounts. to add accounts do the following, right click my computer - manage - local users and groups, add the user name and password you with to connect with.

hth Im the little person who likes to help..
Feel free to contact me..
the_wizard_king@hotmail.com
[ponder] [thumbsup2]

If windows xp is on one machine, what is on the other machine? XP? How are they networked? Through a router, hub, crossoverwire? If not a router, then make sure you assign IP addresses.

(a) Make sure guest account is enabled on the host machine.

(b) ensure that the host machine doesn't have the same username as the one that you are trying to log on as (as this will cause it to try and resolve the username/pass as oppose to commingin through the guest account!)

Did you set up file sharing also? If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

How many computers on the network, and do they have static IP address? ping address for connectivity, and make sure there is a shared directories, If a network domain is running make sure machines are logging into the domain controller before trying to connect to other machines.

A little more info is needed about your setup, for better detailed answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back