Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

One Cognos Server but we have 2 DB servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

udaykamble

Programmer
Feb 10, 2009
US
Hi,

We have one Cognos Server but we have 2 DB servers one for develeopment and one for Production.

How can I use same cognos server for prodcution as well as development for cognos reports.

What are the steps to do that like
1) Do I need to create seperate cognos connection and what else....

Please reply.

We have a number of clients that run 2 different Cognos instances on the same physical server. It actually seems to work pretty well as long as you take a few precautions:

A. Make sure to have 2 completely seperate installations (different root folders)

B. Use different ports in Cognos configuration (like 9500 for development and 9600 for production)

C. Use different shutdown portnumbers (like 9399 and 9599)

D. Make sure to use 2 different application pools in IIS (add a second one). This recommendation seems to be of importance every now and then

If you want to go an even safer way, then install a virtual server on the physical one and install the second instance there..

Ties Blom

How about this....?
1) I will create a seperate cognos connection pointing to development server.
2) Then create sepeared folder for development reports
3) Once reports is done in development then move the report to production folder.

is this possible?

Absolutely.. It is just a matter then of making sure that a report can run against both development and production databases. You can have even one datasource defined with multiple connections and choose the proper connection at runtime. (we work this way with many different datasources)

Technically , having multiple instances for development and production is the better solution though, as development may run ahead of production and one instance can contain only 1 package version at a time..

Ties Blom

I am slightly confused now. I got what u r trying to say but I am not getting that in tool. Here is what I have....

FMProject
Model
Datasource
Primavera
Package

Above structure is my FM model. Primavera is prod connection.
I have created seperate cognos connection in cognos server as "PrimaveraDev", how do I add this to same FM model, I dont see an option if I right click on Datasource?

What will be steps develop reports in dev with respect to FM model and publishing?

What will be steps to deploy reports in prod with respect to FM model and publishing?

I know I am asking too much detail but frankly as this is production FM model, I dont want to mess around hence asking little more details.

this is the structure....i did not come properly in previous post

FMProject
-----Model
-----Datasource
--------Primavera
-----Package

My example can be used when developing reports against a certain database and THEN using the same reports - after testing etc - for production.

The datasource can be the same - normally it would be -,
but in Cognos connection you can assign multiple connections to a certain datasource.
Each of these connections can point to a different database.
When running a report you will be prompted to choose the connection you prefer, which makes it possible to use the report in one Cognos instance for development and production purposes.

Permissions can be set for connections as well, though we do not use this to keep things simple.

As previously stated , this is all less than ideal. Best practice is to have 2 Cognos instances and then use Cognos Content administration to migrate packages and reports from development to production. In that case the datasource exists in both instances and it uses a single connection (with connection pointing to the prefered database in each instance)

Ties Blom

Cognos connection you can assign multiple connections to a certain datasource."

I am not sure how? I am in Cognos Administration but I dont see the option to add a connection to existing datasource....
I am missing something....some silly mistake....

You need to select a datasource from the directory menu (talking 8.1 now) by left-clicking. The next window shows the standard connection. There should be an icon next to the refresh icon that says new connection (it is an icon with 2 standing tubes, a bit of a chain and an asterisk kinda star)

Ties Blom

Are u talking about Cognos Server or Framwork manager?

I checked the Framwork Manager but I did not find the icon u are talking about.

And by the way I am using version 8.3

Is it possible for you to send me a screen shot at uday.kamble@moodys.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back