Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ONE client is being blocked by Raptor. how is it logged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digriz60

Programmer
Aug 15, 2002
US
We've got a web server in our corporate office and we use Exhcange for our email. 99.999% of our traffic that is supposed to go in and out works just fine. There is a client that is trying to get to our website and can never get there -host unknown-. Nor can they send us email. If I direct them to plug in our IP address in their browser, the same happens. An nslookup resolves our domain and mail server just fine, so it's not a DNS issue.

So, I've been working with them the past week, sending test emails back and forth. However, the rejected emails do not show up in Raptor logs, only mail that successfully gets through. I've done filters for their mail server address, their domain address, the sendername...no dice, it's like Raptor doesn't record rejected email. That makes tracking the problem a bit difficult, and which is why I initially thought it was a routing problem, since no traffic was actually being evidenced in the logs.

My question is twofold: first, what about logging? Why isn't it being logged? Secondly, does anybody have any idea as to why their particular traffic would be being blocked? I have an <ANY> <ANY> - Universe* Web/Mail rule that should allow any external address to access those services.
Their domain name resolves to a different address than their gateway, could it be a reverse lookup problem?

TIA,

Steve

Try use the TRACE feature in the SMTP daemon, this will show you why it rejects them. For example:&quot;I have any email over 1024 charaters in the body of the email to be suspected rejected&quot;, I turn the trace on and I can find out who, what, when, and where. I hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back