Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

One Account, Two Mailboxes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsv

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2002
US
We recently upgraded from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000. The only problem we have noticed so far is that we can only allow an account to access a single mailbox. In 5.5, an account could have multiple mailboxes open in Outlook. However, we can't get that to work with Exchange 2000.

I know we can use auto-forwarding and rules to split the mail sent to different addresses into a single mailbox, but I would really like to have it work the same way it did in 5.5.

Hopefully, there is a quick answer concerning permissions, but I can't seem to find it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

IF THE AUTOMOBILE INDUSTRY HAD EVOLVED THE WAY THAT THE COMPUTER INDUSTRY DID, A ROLLS- ROYCE WOULD COST $100, GET A MILLION MILES TO THE GALLON, AND EXPLODE ONCE A YEAR KILLING EVERYONE INSIDE. – AUTHOR UNKNOWN

If you're talking about granting users permissions to multiple mailboxes, that can be done, however, you can't assign a user ID as the PRIMARY account for multiple mailboxes like you could in 5.5....

That sounds like it will work.

Could you give me some basic instructions (like where those permissions are defined) so I can give it a try?

Thanks,
Brian IF THE AUTOMOBILE INDUSTRY HAD EVOLVED THE WAY THAT THE COMPUTER INDUSTRY DID, A ROLLS- ROYCE WOULD COST $100, GET A MILLION MILES TO THE GALLON, AND EXPLODE ONCE A YEAR KILLING EVERYONE INSIDE. – AUTHOR UNKNOWN

In ADU&C, go to the properties of whatever mailbox you'd like multiple users to have access to. Then go to Exchange Advanced tab, then the Mailbox Rights button, and add in the ID's of the appropriate users, giving them Full Mailbox Access.

Thanks for your help.

In case anyone else is reading this looking for the answer, a key thing to do prior to the above instructions is to:

-Start "Active Directory Users and Computers"

-On the 'View' menu, ensure 'Advanced Features' is ticked.

Thanks again for the help,
Brian
IF THE AUTOMOBILE INDUSTRY HAD EVOLVED THE WAY THAT THE COMPUTER INDUSTRY DID, A ROLLS- ROYCE WOULD COST $100, GET A MILLION MILES TO THE GALLON, AND EXPLODE ONCE A YEAR KILLING EVERYONE INSIDE. – AUTHOR UNKNOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back