Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

onChange() bug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

birney29

Programmer
Oct 11, 2001
GB
hi,

I have a function that can be called fine from the onLoad() event, but if i try to call it from an onChange() event, it doesnt work, giving a "object doesnt support this property or method) error. for example,

function StatusReason()
{
alert("function called");
if (document.CertificateForm.Status.options[document.CertificateForm.Status.selectedIndex].text == "Cancelled")
{
fillReasonStatusCancelledSelect();
}
if (document.CertificateForm.Status.options[document.CertificateForm.Status.selectedIndex].text == "Change Of Address")
{
fillReasonStatusChangeOfAddressSelect();
}
if (document.CertificateForm.Status.options[document.CertificateForm.Status.selectedIndex].text == "Duplicate/Replacement")
{
fillReasonStatusDuplicateSelect();
}
if (document.CertificateForm.Status.options[document.CertificateForm.Status.selectedIndex].text == "Partially Revoked")
{
fillReasonStatusPartiallyRevokedSelect();
}
if (document.CertificateForm.Status.options[document.CertificateForm.Status.selectedIndex].text == "Revoked")
{
fillReasonStatusRevokedSelect();
}
if (document.CertificateForm.Status.options[document.CertificateForm.Status.selectedIndex].text == "Transferred Out")
{
fillReasonStatusTransferredOutSelect();
}

}

<body bgcolor = &quot;#999999&quot; text = &quot;#000000&quot; class = &quot;banner&quot; onLoad = &quot; fillDropDowns();enable();setForCancel();StatusReason();&quot;>

<input type=&quot;select&quot; onChange=&quot;StatusReason();&quot;/>

I have the same code on other screens and it works fine. any ideas? i use ie6

Thank you
Kenneth Birney
User Interface Programmer
Scottish Police

There's no such thing as <input type=&quot;select&quot;>.
It's just:
<select name=&quot;Status&quot; onChange=&quot;StatusReason();&quot; />
<option>
</select>

Also, I'd recommend you to improve your script code to make it shorter and more readable:

function StatusReason()
{
obj = document.CertificateForm.Status;

alert(&quot;function called&quot;);
if (obj.options[obj.selectedIndex].text == &quot;Cancelled&quot;)
{
fillReasonStatusCancelledSelect();
}
if (obj.options[obj.selectedIndex].text == &quot;Change Of Address&quot;)
. . .

yeah, sorry bout the input thing. just typing up an example. the actual code for the control is

<xsl:element name=&quot;Select&quot;>
<xsl:attribute name=&quot;name&quot;>Status</xsl:attribute>
<xsl:attribute name=&quot;size&quot;>1</xsl:attribute>
<xsl:attribute name=&quot;id&quot;>Status</xsl:attribute>
<xsl:attribute name = &quot;onChange&quot;>disable();changeTextColor(&quot;Status&quot;);StatusReason();</xsl:attribute>
</xsl:element>
Kenneth Birney
User Interface Programmer
Scottish Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back