Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Onboard Video dead, how to add PCI card

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechnicalTim

Technical User
Oct 21, 2002
AU
Hi,

I have a Proliant 3000 with a dead onboard VGA card. It died overnight, and locked up the (W2K) server. Upon reboot, everything was fine except no video output. We've tried several screens - it's definitely the output. I know the server is 'displaying' graphics to an extent because we can VNC into the desktop. Now, I'd like to replace the video with an add-on PCI card. But all I seem to find is one problem after another. I could bore you all with the details, but it looks like I'm not the only one with this kind of problem.

In short, has ANYONE out there managed to figure out how to use a video card OTHER than the on-board one on a Proliant 3000? If so... HOW?? :)

Thanks...

Please let me know what problems you are having with the PCI cards. Also if memory serves me right on the older 3000 there as a set of switch on the system board that one enabled and extra video card. Check the inside of panel that you remove to get inside and it should show where this is.

Did you get this resolved...I am trying to get an alternate card working but it seems to step on the bios of the Array Controller.

Yup Sanday is right

The system config switch (located just beneath the onboard memory banks) should be checked.

You must set the 1st switch to 'OFF'
(Which corresponds to 'onboard video use'. The default setting is ON)

Maybe you missed that one?

And/or double check Win2K video drivers..

Had the switch set but when I put in the alternate card, I get video, but my RAID controller bios does not kick in and therefore, I have no access to my operating system.

Stupid me..

You need to run the system config aswell

Yeap, run the EISA system config..
At start you 'll see a pci card is added.

Have done with Smart Start 5.5. Adds the video card and says it sets the boot to the RAID adapter.

Seems like a bios conflict between the video card and the Array Controller. Doesn't matter which slot or bus I have the adapters on and I have tried three different video cards.

I am going to try and upgrade the firmware on the Array Controller. Any other thoughts?

I am sorry I didnt read the topic very well.

Indeed it seems like an array controller vs video card conflict.
I will check tonight which IRQ &such are used by the Array controller in my system, this will give us a hint perhaps.

Yep, upgrading the Array firmware can be a good thing.
This shouldnt destroy your raid, e.g. your array should be intact after the up.

curious to your results, tmos.....

I have the exact problem with an old proliant 3000 E39. Video card is wiggin' out and replacement(s) in pci slot(s) have same results. Have tried updating the firmware on the Smart-2 array as above suggestion but get....

"The installation procedure did not complete successfully. An error occured during the setup process.

Additional Information:
The Online Romflash failed in slot 6 because the firmware version is older than 4.40. Please flash offline."

Offline flash with the firmware maintaince release cd (7.20) has also been unsuccessful so I am stuck...

any ideas appreciated.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back