Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Onboard video BIOS setting, PCI or AGP? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

finast

Technical User
Apr 5, 2003
US
I thought I could find the answer using google, oh well. Here are my questions. I have an HP 8565 with onboard video which is fine for what I need. Just email, light surfing and word processing. Since it also has an AGP slot as well as PCI what do I set in the BIOS, PCI or AGP, that's what I saw. No way to enable or disable. Is it based on the chipset? or does the BIOS autoconfig. It does seem to work either way. This isn't necessarily HP specific, I've had a Dell and others with the same. It's more the curiosity factor but if one improves it some, great. Sorry if this is redundant, I also tried searching the forums but may not have used the right keywords.<br> Thanks to you in advance.

Ok, What that means is if you are going to add a video card you can select AGP or PCI. There should be a setting for disabling the onboard video. If not it may auto disable if you put an AGP or PCI card in. So if you decide to go out and bye a gforceFX card buy it for an AGP slot and set the bios to AGP. If it does not work then somewhere else in the bios you need to disable onboard video.

No - there is no way to disable the selection of agp or pci - but if you are using the onboard video and there are no video cards in either a pci or agp slot then just leave it set to pci, as setting it to agp could possibly force you to re-enter your bios and change it back anyway.
and no if you add a video card that will not auto disable onboard video, you will still at that point need to go in and turn it off.

Most motherboards I've seen with both onboard video and AGP slots use an &quot;autosense&quot; mechanism. Whenever the AGP slot is filled, the board knows to automatically disable the onboard video.

Normally, there's nothing for you to set or change in the BIOS. The only time you might have to ever look at these settings is if you decide to add a PCI video card. In those instances, the video card isn't always detected. So you might have to disable the onboard video manually. But that's usually only with PCI.

Your onboard video most likely has a direct path to your Northbridge chipset, usually linked to the AGP bus.

~cdogg
[tab]&quot;The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources&quot;
[tab][tab]- A. Einstein

That PCI or AGP setting in the BIOS is relevant to dual video card systems. When you have two video cards for dual monitor, you set in the BIOS which card is going to be used for the &quot;Primary Display&quot;.

Otherwise, the motherboard is smart enough to detect a single video card, no need to adjust that setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back