Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

onboard gforce4 mx causing bluescreens

Status
Not open for further replies.

croze

Technical User
Nov 25, 2003
AU
Hi, I've just upgraded my motherboard, cpu and ram (soltek SL-75MRN-L, amd 2500+, and 2x512Mb 400 mHz pc3200 ddr ram). The problem I have is when I run anything graphics intesive i get a blue screen. graphics is onboard gforce4 mx on nvidea nforce2 mobo. Mostly hapens when viewing video (dvd, avi, divx, etc) but also on 'call of duty' (but not half-life). I can tell when it's going to blue screen because the screen gets what looks like interference (random horizontal lines about an inch long). The interference is not limited to the window playing the video ie. it appears all over the screen. ram is running at 166Mhz (double pumped to give 333?). any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

What OS are you using? If you are running Win98 SE it may not see all the extra RAM that you have.

Are you sure that there is not a problem with your Monitor?

Have you remembered to upgrade you cooling system? Your system may be overheating causing the blue screens

First suggestion, would be to get the latest drivers for your monitors and Video card.

Secondly, check out your cooling fans.

Disable in bios theese.
System bios rom cachable=disabled
Video bios ram cachable=disabled

i ran halflife with a 4mb onboard video. hl is 4 years old. cod is new outta the box this month. i would suggest an upgrade. anykind of onboard vid and you could probably count your own frames in a game like cod.

Problem turned out to be incompatable ram. I traded in the oem ram for kingston ram and all is good. Grand theft auto vice city runs like a dream. Thanks to all who contributed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back