Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

On W2k setup. Error on finding Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamous

IS-IT--Management
Jun 23, 2001
US
After setting up W2k pro, I can't seem to get the machine to see the Domain. There is one and I can ping all of the dhcp addresses and the gateway, plus I can get to msn.com. I just can add the new system to the domain and then see the domain. This has happened before, though it is rare.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rusty

DNS Servers:69.50.9.11;209.249.40.10;63.219.151.12"

These area all external to your local network. The only address here should be the DNS server of your Domain.

We don't have one on the inside. We are expecting the PDC and BDC to take of this. (NT 4.0)

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, make sure that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is turned on and the Computer Browser service is running on each computer in the workgroup. To do this, follow these steps.
Step 1: Turn on NetBIOS over TCP/IP
1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Network and Internet Connections.
2. Click Network Connections.
3. Right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
4. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.
5. Click the General tab, and then click Advanced.
6. Click the WINS tab.
7. Under NetBIOS setting, click Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, and then click OK two times.
8. Click Close to close the Local Area Connection Properties dialog box.
9. Close the Network Connections window.

Step 2: Start the Computer Browser service
1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
2. Double-click Services and Applications.
3. Double-click Services.
4. In the right pane, right-click Computer Browser, and then click Start.
5. Close the Computer Management window.

We are trying this. This seems to be specifically for a "workgroup" not a "domain". I will report back shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back