Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

on SDRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

lloydli

Programmer
Sep 19, 2002
US
hi,
i would like to know, whether it is possible to put TWO different brand of RAM on motherboard(Micron & PLUSS),but have same number(PC 133)

and will it be compatible to use RAM ..one is 256M and the other 128M..= 384M SDRAM

thx
lloyd

As long as your M/B supports PC133 and it will handle that much memory, should have no problems. Make sure the board will handle that much memory and can run PC133.

Hope this helps, WMH
MCP+I, MCSE
smashfreakb.gif

Yes, it's possible to use not only different brands of RAM but different speeds (PC133 and PC100 for example). If the BIOS Memory Configuration is set to By SPD or Auto the DRAM controller will set the memory timings as the slowest module depends. It must to work without problems.

And about 256MB and 128MB..
Depends on chipset you use. Some chipsets may to detect the 256MB module as 128MB depends on single-banked or two-banked module and chipset's features.

Yes you can do that, but TYRANTSSV, using a PC 133 and PC 100 RAM will make the RAm work at the slower frequency, in other words no matter how much RAM you have, it will always work at the slower frequency, so best use the same freuency RAM.

but wouldnt you rather have 521 fo pc100 rather than 2560 of 133 ? i know those arent the numbers we are working with but i think the 512 would improve performance even though it is slower ram

lloydli said the ram is both pc133 so that isnt an issue here, i know your jsut stating the facts though.

but yes it is best to use the same frequency of ram

Yes, using RAM modules with different speeds causes RAM working at slowest module speed. I use that as example to show the BIOS capadilities when using SPD or autoconfiguration. Using of modules with same speed is the better idea of course. But memory modules from different manufacturers may have different timing parameters stored in SPD chip. If the BIOS settings have the Memory Configuration parameter selected as Manual the BIOS will not use SPD and new added module may not work. Be sure the BIOS uses the SPD.

Win 95/98/ME is only good for 384 MEG of RAM; Any more and the OS has problems. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back