Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

On-screen form in Word 2003 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0AOZ

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
GB
Have made a simple form with a couple of text boxes and a couple of tick boxes.

The tick boxes are fine, but the text boxes can seemingly be altered by the user when filling in data.

Is there a way to limited the size of the text box, and also prevent them hitting <CR> and getting another line for inserting even more text?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Double-click on the textbox and set the Maximum characters property.

Put the textbox in a table row and set the row height to Exactly

Thanks for the quick response!

Hmmm, I'm obviously doing something wrong as part of it doesn't appear to work! I've got the row height locked down ok now thanks, but I still can't limit the number of characters in the box.

Form is saved as a template (.DOT). Open template, highlight cell and click on Form Field Options on the Forms Toolbar. Set Maximum Length, (say 3) and click OK.

Open new document, select appropriate template, and that field can be filled with a lot more than 3 characters!

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Ah! That's the answer! Many thanks indeed.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Roger,

Just out of interest, how do you get the user to put a tick into a text box - without opening the window that allows them to select 'checked' or 'unchecked'?

Please, help me....I'm a bit stuck as I am designing a form with check boxes for my users to tick and submit.

Thanks and regards,

Francis

Hmmm, are you using the Controls Toolbox instead of the Forms toolbar?

Francis, sorry I couldn't get back before now - get dodgy mains power when we have an electrical storm, so had to switch off computer!

Yes, you need Forms Toolbar. To be completely accurate, you're creating a box on which the user will click, and it actually puts in a cross (X) and not a tick as such.

Unless that is, the brilliant Lilliabeth or someone else can tell us otherwise...?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Thanks Roger.

However, would you then need to put any VBA code behind the check box object? could someone kindly tell me how to do it step by step - sorry, I haven't done this before.

Thanks and regards,

Francis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back