Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

on opening mapped drives, getting windows cannot find file.exe error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizugori

Programmer
May 21, 2007
US
when double-clicking on certain mapped network drives from my computer, windows throws an error saying:

Windows cannot find 'diaquacuk.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

What is going on? What is this file, (google found nothing) and why is this happening instead of the mapped folder opening?

Thanks!

I would scan for a virus or trojans

Running symantec endpoint, updated, so it's not that

anything in your event viewer?

This same question is also posted on Experts Exchange
@Mizugori

If you are posting a question on more than one forum please cross reference the postings.

Also, I wouldn't dismiss a virus out-of-hand. A virus could have been out in the wild before the virus signatures were updated. As TechyMcSe2k said, I would scan for a virus or trojans.

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read How can I maximize my chances of getting an answer? before posting.

Find a good Malware scanner as well. Symantec can't catch everything. :)

A google search led to this thread

Which points to some sort of malware. Go to a command prompt and navigate to the folder and look for an occurrence of an autorun.inf file and rename it/delete it.

And follow the advice of the previous posts on finding a good scanner

jesus are you guys for real? how many more ppl are going to link me back to my own threads lol... yes i posted on several forums... i use the same username so you might have figured out that it was me...

anyways it is NOT a virus issue. it was a simple permissions problem. seems like everyone is really quick to cry "virus! spyware!" as soon as something unusual happens lately.

simple permission problem? what permission did you change? This is a learning forum, therefore solutions should be posted so that we don't cry "Spyware, Virus!" and future searches can help the next user in need.

i am taking that "Windows cannot find 'diaquacuk.exe'." was an internal (homegrown?) program someone was trying to run from a network share?

some users did not have adequate permissions to access some of the folders that were being mapped by the login script

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back