Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ON KEY(esc) delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

overtime

Programmer
Jul 23, 2001
US
I have recently converted from SCO to Linux (Red Hat) and upgraded 4GL to version 7.31.UC3 with SE. I notice now that there is a delayed reaction to the escape key. In fact, what seems to be happening is that on pressing escape (within an INPUT statement) it executes the code but does not repaint the screen as needed. A second press of the escape key will cause it to wake up.

In my screens I use on key(esc) as a "go back". At the first field of a screen, I code it to leave. This problem is causing unintended exits since the first esc puts the user at the first field (in the code) but the user can't know that since the appropriate display actions do not take place. Thus, the user invariably presses esc again and exits the program.

To complicate this slightly, the whole problem seems to occur only on the second attempt. That is, the first time escape is used, it works correctly. The second time requires two presses to get a screen (though not a code) response.

One further piece of evidence: I also use isql and isqlrf. In isqlrf, if I do a query, I need to press escape twice to cause it to display the result of the query.

Any help would sure be appreciated.

Hi,

Terminal, printer, modem, special keys, function keys attributes are mapped in a "capability database" called terminfo. I doubt your sessions are not pointed to a correct and capable terminfo database.

Just check the environment variable:
echo $TERMCAP

If it is not set you may goahead and set. Files are located at:
ls -l $INFORMIXDIR/etc/*term*

example:
export TERMCAP=$INFORMIXDIR/etc/termcap

I feel that your current set TERM is xterm. You may also try setting it to other terminal type and figure-out, whether it is working for you.

example:
export TERM=vt100

Regards,
Shriyan
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."[color]

Hello,

Have you already found a solution to this esc-problem?
I've same problem here and I'm very gratefully for any ideas or workarounds to this matter

Thank's
p.a.t

Hi Lonelywolf,

Nope. I am just living with it. The termcap is correct. Not the problem, as far as I can tell. It's important to note that
the esc key works correctly but that somewhat more than half the time, you have to press another key to get the system to display the result. It's as if the first application of esc starts things going but locks the display. I haven't checked to see if the PID actually picks up CPU time after the first press of esc.

For example, I can simply go into dbaccess (isqlrf) and run a query. Esc is supposed to execute. If I press it, it will not respond but if I press ANY other key after esc, the esc will show its results.

Thanks,

Gary

As most of the function keys send code prefixed with 027 (1B hex), ie same code as sent by the Esc key, it's often a bad idea to use Esc on its own in ON KEY.
Just my 2 cents....

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

If that were really a problem, it would cause programs to respond to esc on the press of other function keys. We don't have that problem. Please also note that the problem I AM having, started on Linux. It was not a problem in SCO.

Double check ALL the environment variables setting in your SCO box against the linux box.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back