Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

On DSL with two IIS servers, want to look in Exchange mailboxes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

itechy

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2003
US
I'm new to this site and new to the problem I have so it may be impossible.

Anyway here goes, I'll try and keep it as brief as possible.

Have one Windows 2000 Server with IIS running and connected directly to DSL aswell as running ICS and connected to internal network (192.168.0.10) with Active Directory installed giving me my domain server.

Have another Windows 2000 Server added to the domain (192.168.0.11) running Exchange Server 2000.

At the moment I can send and recieve email internally and externally without issues.

The problem is I want to be able to access Exchange's web mail from anywhere in the world and don't know how, if at all possible, to set it up.

When I try itcexch01.mydomain.co.uk/exchange/user from internally, the DNS request sends me to the right place. This doesn't work externally, should it?

I have tried setting up a MX record for mail.mydomain.co.uk and pointed it to itcexch01.mydomain.co.uk but this doesn't work externally either.

Is my server actually resolving names? Should it?

Please someone, HELP!!

Cheers

Tim

The 'itcexch01.mydomain.co.uk' has to be 'known' by the DNS servers on the net, if not, it will never work.
If you can ping itcexch01.mydomain.co.uk you're ok, if not .. not. Check with your ISP to add it.
BUT, that is normally not needed. All you need is to access mydomain.co.uk (your WAN-IP) with the correct OWA port. If a firewall or router is in place (there better be!), forward the port to the itcexch01 server.
There may be more involved here, but those are the minimum requirements. If the solution is out there, let us know it was helpful, so others can benefit from it as well..

Sounds good to me and thanks for replying :)

Just want to clarify a few more thing, really because I don't fully understand it.

When you say I can get my ISP to add itcexch01.mydomain.co.uk, I assume they can add it as an MX record so it looks mail.mydomain.co.uk? Also when you say my ISP, do you mean literally my ISP I use to connect to the net or the company I have purchased my domain name from?

Sorry to be a pain.

Cheers again

If you're getting mail, then DNS is setup correctly.

Just open port 80 on the Exchange server if you need a quick and dirty fix.

I literally mean ISP yes, the one who handles your MX.
You van have it point to anything you want, but THEY will have to add it to the DNS tables.
But, the MX record will NOT serve your purpose in accessing webmail in exch. (OWA), that requires itcexch01.mydomain.co.uk to be in the DNS with the same Ip address as your main domain because all you will be doing in browsing it.
That said, it 'should' already work with just mydomain.co.uk, provided the correct ports are open and/or forwarded. If the solution is out there, let us know it was helpful, so others can benefit from it as well..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back