Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

On Demand Sub Report - Lots of Them

Status
Not open for further replies.

baycolor

MIS
Mar 23, 2005
US
Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm using CRV11.

QUESTION 1:
I'm going to have a report in the following format...

Region MetricName TimeFrame 8/5/05 8/19/05 9/2/05
Europe A Last 2 months Some % Some % Some %
Europe B Last 2 months Some % Some % Some %
Europe C Last 2 months Some % Some % Some %
Americas A Last 2 months Some % Some % Some %
Americas B Last 2 months Some % Some % Some %
Americas C Last 2 months Some % Some % Some %

Report will keep getting wider and wider - column will be
added every 2 weeks. Report as it stands will have about 30 rows for 30 different metrics. Number of metric rows will also grow.

I'd like to have an on-demand subreport available on all of the percentage values. Basically I'd like each percent to be a hyperlink that would kick off a subreport that would obtain the detail data behind the percentage calculation.

That will eventually be a lot of hyperinks. Not sure exactly how to do this.

I'm thinking one subreport with prompts that would ask...
what region do you want detail data for
what metric do you want detail data for
what date do you want detail for

This doesn't seem very user friendly though. But I don't want to create a subreport per metric. Any ideas?

QUESTION 2:
As the date columns in my source table get populated with more and more data and my CR report is going to be limited by the width of my largest size paper does anyone know of a way to roll the columns in my report. Basically after I reach the max number of report columns that I can display on whatever size paper I use I want the oldest date column to be purged off and the newest date column added.

Again... thanks for your help.

Hi,
In response to your first question, I would decide how many columns you can get away with in total to start, (and I would suggest a using a crosstab) and then use the select expert to restrict your data for that x number of coumns. You don't say what your data source is, but sometimes is easier to do the rolling thing at source. We use SQL and find that creating the report from a stored procedure is the easiest way.

Question 1, now that is a whole world of pain (certainly in v9 & v10) There are two ways i know how you could do this. If the number of columns and number of rows are a constant (which you say wont be),it is possible to place a view on demand subreport <b>for each %</b> in a group under your crosstab, you align them with the cells in the crosstab above, which is then overlayed.
This can then give the impression that a user is drilling through a crosstab. I did this once (yeah thought I was clever) until I realised what a nightmare is was to make any changes to the report - I would leave this alone.

The other option is something called "report parts", i've never used them myself - but from what i've heard they seem to give some of the functionality you need, but you need to be using the DHTML viewer (i think).

I hope this gets you a little further on even if it hasn't helped?

Cheers
mrees

Hi,
as an experiment, try creating the report as a mailing label ( yes, that's what I said ) with X across ( based on your max cols desired) and set your paper size and the label width accordingly to get, say, a 4 Column across report with each column being as wide as your repprt needs..

Not at all sure this can work but would make an interesting exercise.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Hi,
I did some experimenting ( in CR10) , and this is probably a no go..Trying to 'convince' CR that you have very wide paper and want very wide labels is not as straightforward as I thought..[Not to mention how to create the lines on the labels] - [banghead]

Sorry...

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back