Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

on-demand scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

jatkinson

Technical User
Nov 14, 2001
GB
HELP!!

I cannot get on-demand scan to work in Groupshield 5.0 for Exchange 5.5.

I get a odconsole box appear with the following:

The command could not be issued to the Anti-Virus service on {SERVER NAME}. The service appears to not be running.
Start service now?

If I try to start the service I then get a message with a clock face in it that says:

Restarting Anti-Virus service on server {SERVER NAME}

However, nothing happens. I then look in task manager and it tells me that McAfee Groupshield On-Demand Console is not responding

I end the task and the clock message stays. Eventually another message appears from Service Control:

Unable to restart service. Some of your changes may not take effect until the McAfee GroupShield for Microsoft Exchange service has been restarted.

When I open up services McAfee Groupshield for Exchange 5.5 is listed and started, however when I highlight it the Start, Stop, Pause and Continue buttons are greyed out!!

I have removed and reinstalled Groupshield several times and tried repairing per instructions on McAfee's website too. Nothing seems to work!!

Can anyone help, please??

Many thanks in anticipation

You've tried this right?

Problem Description:
Error: "The command could not be sent to the antivirus server. The service must not be running."

Unable to start GroupShield Services

Problem Environment:
McAfee GroupShield 5.2 for Exchange 2000
McAfee GroupShield 5.0 for Exchange 2000
McAfee GroupShield 5.2
McAfee GroupShield 5.0
Microsoft Exchange 2000
Microsoft Windows 2000

Cause of this problem:
The account that starts the GroupShield Service does not have domain administrative privileges.

In some cases, an account other than the Local System account is assigned to the McAfee GroupShield service. If the account is added from the Local Computer group, it will not be able to contact the domain when the service attempts to start.

Solution:
To resolve this issue, select the account from the domain instead of the local computer:
Select 'Start | Programs | Administrative Tools | Services'.

Double-click the 'McAfee GroupShield for Exchange' service and select the 'Logon' tab.

Select the "This account" radio button and then click 'Browse...'.

Select the appropriate domain from the 'Look in:' drop-list.

Select the account from the domain, specify the password, and re-start the service.

----

AVChap

... take my advice, I don't use it anyway!

Hi AVChap

Yep looked at that and isn't the problem, all settings are correct.

jatkinso

What's the SP level for Exchange 5.5? Should be at least SP3 w/ the Information Store HF.

AVChap ... take my advice, I don't use it anyway!

Hi there

We've SP 4 installed for Exch5.5 and SP4 installed for NT4.

Cheers

I don't know if it's related but I've also noticed that groupshield won't list what version DAT files are installed

also noted now that cannot stop or start GroupShield for Exchange in serices, options greyed out.

I've also removed and re-installed Groupshield and updated to version 5 SP1, the server was also updated to SP6.

Still cannot run an on-demand scan!!

I've noted that I can run an On Demand Scan direct by running ODConsole.exe from explorer but it still won't run from the tab in Groupshield properties in Exchange Admin

J,

Here's somthing to try your dat and engine could be corrupted,

Run a superdat with /f swift on your exchange server to try and force a superdat install if this fails.

extract the superdat into a folder.
stop the groupshield services
copy the files into the groupshield i386 folder
If you get an error that one of the files can not be copied set the services for groupshield to manual reboot the server and then copy the files.
restart the services.
check the version info it should be correct.
check that you have the latest service pack for GroupSHield if it still plays up contact them

it's not going to be the dat files as they are used by netshield and the clients. I cannot stop groupshield services, the buttons are greyed out,I think basically the installation of groupshield didn't work properly, maybe a rougue registry entry from previous version or something that has caused a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back