Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

On board sound, what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnis

Technical User
Apr 17, 2002
GB
I am confused about whether I need to buy a soundcard when I purchase a new machine.

They all say they have on board sound, but is this a real low quality sound? What actually is on board sound?

Should I get something like a Soundblaster Audigy 5.1 sound card.

Many of modern motherboards have an onboard sound, but it can to be an AC'97 codec or seperate sound chip. In first case sound generation is performed by processor running sound software. As result we have low sound quality, increased CPU load and other troubles.
In the second case the sound may be good, but good separate soundcard is always better than in-built sound.

SB Audigy is the very good choice.

The SB Audigy is pretty expensive though. What is a good card on a budget?

Yes, it's expensive. But the solving is depended by that what sound you want.

If you will use the headphones, you must to know that all modern built-in soundsystems and linear outputs of seperate soundcards are not able to work with low resistance of headphones and an additional amplifier may be required. And using headphones you may not to differ Audigy and built-in or other low-quality soundcard.

Different people have different representation about sound quality. As I wrote above Audigy is the good choice for hight quality sound. But the good quality acoustic systems are also needed or separate sound center with digital input. But the total system cost will be extremely high.

If the sound capabilities are not critical for the system, some cheap soundcards may be used. Examples are (if Creative) SB 128 Compact PCI, VIBRA, PCI128, soundcards with chips Yamaha-754, Crystal CS4281, CMI8738. Some of these are integrated on new motherboards. But the better idea may be Creative Live!.

Hi there Minnis

Good advice all round,but if you want to run a cheap card,then go for the SB LIVE 5.1 which is fully Dolby surround compatible and DIGITAL...it is the AUDIGY card without the bells and whistles 5" insert with all the plugs.

It will do full midi in/out and full 5.1 surround. Also,I'll throw you a hint....Ya want some excellent 5.1 surround speakers to go with it? Go here It's in Australia (Sydney) and they have Boston Acoustic BA7500G speakers for US$80 !!!!
Look em up on Boston's site and see how much you'll save!!!
Boston had surplus stock and Oatley whipped em up!

Hope this helps!

PAUL (Dorothy Dix)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back