Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

On a form there are two date/time f

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conner

Technical User
Nov 29, 2000
US
On a form there are two date/time fields. The first field is sign-in and the second is sign-out. Both fields use the Now()function to get the user sign-in and sign-out times. Obviously, the form gets used at the beginning of the workday and the end of the workday.

Sometimes a user gets confused, etc. and selects the wrong command or forgets to sign-in, but will sign-out.I need someway to "find" those occasions....I'm trying to build a query to check for these exceptions.

But when I run a query with [SignIn] and [SignOut], I sometimes get something like this:

[SignIn] [SignOut]
Jones 1/21/2004 8:30 A.M. 'nothing here
Smith 'nothing here 1/21/2004 5:00 p.m.

And then if I try to use any date/time functions, the empty spaces get filled with #Error.

What's in the blank spaces (remember I'm using Now() to get my date/Time)

Is there away to correct this?

You can test for null in the fieldname if nothing has been entered (enter Is Null in the query criteria) and also can check for sign in time being > sign out time, which would pick up items put in out of order.

John

for the future, to alleviate the "forgetful" users...you could instead put code in the Form's OnOpen and OnClose events which put the date/time stamp in there automatically. no more nulls.

Jr-
I tried testing for null (IsNull) in the query criteria. I get the error message "Data Type Mismatch in criteria expression." Didn't work. The "greater than" approach didn't work either. What is in an empty date/time field that doesn't get populated by the Now() as it should?

I like Ginger's suggestion, but alas, I lived too long in the present when I should have been thinking about the future of Now()

Suggestions?

how many blanks are there? maybe just going thru and populating them manually with the same as the (non-missing) In or Out will be sufficient for now? Then you can put the code in the form's OnOpen and OnClose events (shouldn't take you but a few minutes).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back