Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OMG!! Please help?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dropshipguru

Technical User
Feb 26, 2003
US
Hey all... I hope I've come to the right place... For the past two days, our site (dropshippedtools.com) has been crashing left and right. Our host company is telling me that our dbase is maxed (52meg and counting) and they say that is what is causing the problems... I've seen dbases that are larger but I'm still a newbie to this... Can anyone tell me what the "max" capacity is for a database driven website? If I haven't given enough info, let me know...

Thanks so much in advance!!!

"OMG Please help!!" is not a very descriptive subject! your thread will get read last!!

MS claim Access will handle Databases upto 1GB - this does not mean tht your host will allow you to use 1gb of their drives though!!
If your database is SQL server then capaicty is not an issue.

The most common issue I have come across that causes a working one day not the next. is when number types exceed capacity, this is easily fixed by changing integers to double integers etc.

But there are potentially hundreds of reasons... you will need to post some more info, error msgs etc.

You're right about the thread header... it's more of a feeling than anything else... :(

Here's more info... We are running on a dedicated server that is 1ghz and 1gbRAM running on a Windows 2000 OS. Do you think this is too small? Supposedly, our motherboard can't handle more. Could moving to another server solve the problem? The database is Access not SQL although moving to SQL is a solution that we are looking at but timing is a HUGE issue... We need a quick fix until we can move...

Thanks for the number types tip! I never even thought about that!!! :(

As far as errors go, we only receive run-time and server timeout errors... then the big crash... Is there anything in particular (error wise) that I should be looking for?

Thanks again for your time...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

let me count the ways (or available fingers), because that is (or soon will be the N[/n] in the N ^ N castigations of 'blame' flying through the game.

52Meg is NOT the problem. Now that ONE finger is folded back (does that mean it is part of a 'fist?).

The number of users may contribute to failure, particularly when many users are editing the records (obtw - edit here inlcuded "add").

Network issues are often involoved in these as well. One common 'failure' in net land derives from the simple issue that most networks are set up to service 'light office' work, consisting mostly of e-mail, memos, 'light weight' spreadsheets, occassional power point presentations or even some 'art work'. In general, these operations send a very) few MBytes of information from one user to another, or occsassionally from a 'server' to a user. The general db operation -in stark (and ofter crippling) contrast may easily send 10's of MBytes from the server to many users all with a short (milli-second) time frame. Net land management generally opts to 'tune' network operation to accomodate the generic 'office' use, and totally forgets (or ignores) the database processing. This is particularly a problem for MS ACCESS databases for two reasons. First, most net admins regard Ms. A, as just another office application, and lump in into the mix of spreadsheets and inter-office memo documents (Word ".doc") files. Second, Ms. A is NOT a client server application, which loosely translates to a WHOLE lot more sttuuufffff going acrosss htose network wires than might happen if only the NECESSARY sttuuufffff went through the wires.

Somewhere in this mis-mash, if you even get the opportunity to present (a cleaned up version of) it, is when the fingers WILL get pointed. It does, of course, depend on the organization - but the N ^ N references to 'who done it' will be at least the first phase, and probably (as the the fingers start to 'curl up') you will see fists emerge - and quite possibly be put to use.

been there ...

NOT a happy outcome

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Searching for employment in all the wrong places

I wanted to post back to let you all know we are back up and running again! We finally ended up dumping a little over half of our database (we made a copy first of course) and were able to bring her back to life again. Possible bad record? Too much info to be processed by such a tiny server? Too many fingers pointing in too many directions?? ;) We are moving over to SQL quickly so this doesn't happen again anytime in the near future...

Thanks to all for your tips! I really appreciated the feedback in my time of need!! :)

Hi,
Only just saw this and I'm glad you have it fixed. Just to stick my two penny worth it - I was taught that Access is not really suitable for use on an active web site because it has a quite small maximum of users that it can handle at a time, 30 if I remember correctly. My instructor said use Access for the development and testing out your SQL strings etc but upgrade to SQL Server when you upload it to the live site.
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back