Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OMA does not pass attachments to smart phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

schaef2k

IS-IT--Management
Jan 4, 2001
US
Hi I'm a new Admin and I'm having an issue that I can't seam to get any information on.

The exchange server doen't pass attachments when using the OMA web connection. OWA however is working fine.

When the user opens the email there is just no attachment in the email but if you look at the properties of the email you can see the attachment listed in the text.

I've tried this with a pc web browser and get the same results. The only error on the exchange server is:

Event ID 2266, w3svc-wp but i don't think that is related.

Any help or push in the right direction would be great.

Thanks.

Are your users using VersaMail ?

Just curious,
Brandon

No just using the built in Palm OS browser and Quick Office. The attachment just isn't there on the phone. If you look at details on the messege you can see a header for it but that's it. Same results if I use a browser on a PC to hit the site.

I couldn't find much about the problem either, but KB article mentions some permissions changes that need to be made when you have the error you are getting. If I were you, I'd try and take care of the problem indicated by the error and see if the same permissions problem doesn't resolve your OMA attachment problem. Maybe the folder that OMA stores attachments in for viewing also lacks the proper rights. Unfortunately, I don't know which folder that would be.

ShackDaddy

I'm not finding much either. Thanks for the tips. I'll update when i find something out.

I checked with someone on the Exchange team at Microsoft. Turns out OMA doesn't support attachments. Only ActiveSync does. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but at least you can stop researching this issue.

Really, i was under the impression that it should be passing attachments through OMA site to the browser on the phone.

Not that I don't believe you Shack, but can anyone else verify this?

Pages 10 and 11 of this document ( summarize what features ActiveSync and OMA each bring to the table. You'll note that ActiveSync includes attachment downloading, while attachments are never mentioned with OMA in the same breath anywhere at Microsoft.com. I wish they'd just come out and say "Our attachment solution requires ActiveSync, since we didn't build that functionality into OMA," but it doesn't seem like marketing has allowed them to do that.

The distinction is mentioned on other sites though, like here: ( where the relevant line goes as follows:

Whereas OMA renders Exchange Store data in a form that the handheld device can display, Exchange ActiveSync simply retrieves native Exchange data (the local copy of Pocket Outlook renders the data). Exchange ActiveSync also enables access to attachments, which OMA can't handle.

Hope this helps,

ShackDaddy

Thank you very much Shack I apreciate the time you spent here. Looks like i'm back to the drawing board.

One more note: I know a guy who makes a pretty good product that would allow you to actually pull those attachments down to your phone via a customized version of OWA that's more suitable for a PDA or smartphone:
In addition, it also lets you access your public folders.

ShackDaddy

Thanks Shack, I saw you mention that in another thread and I'm going to demo it this week and see how it goes. Looks like it'll do exactly what I want!

You rock!

Ok, I've used VersaMail on a Palm / Treo 650 and it passes attachments... The only issue I don't like is that it ONLY SYNCS INBOX AND CALENDAR using ExchActiveSync.

Does anyone know if a Pocket PC / Windows Mobile version will sync more than just inbox and calendar???

Many Thanks!
Brandon

Bran, check out the one I just mentioned earlier in this thread. It does everything. And it's sold just for the server license. There's no limit on the number of users that can connect to it.

Thanks Shack- I just got your other post to me on this too.

Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back