Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OleMainThreadWndName error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elle

Programmer
Sep 19, 2000
GB
Hi,

One of my NT 4 with latest updates workstations at log off produces the wait while task is closing window, with the options to wait 20s, end task, close now. The title of the window is "OleMainThreadWndName". It only lets me log off when i select end now. Does any one have any ideas what it is and how to stop it. It doesn't seem (according to task manager) to be running anything when i go to log off.
Any help offered would be gratefully received.
Elle

Try reapplying the service pack. Also does it write any entries into the Event Logs. If so this may point to the culprit. Also if you get an event id you can look it up on

I've had this same problem today on 5 NT boxes after setting up a training environment and sharing a printer hanging off one of the PCs (and connecting to it on the others). They all then display this error twice upon log out/restart/shutodwn. 'End now' twice works on every machine every time. I haven't tried much in the way of troublehsooting yet, but I did run the NT critical updates pack on them all yesterday (before probs).

I fixed the OleMainThreadWndName error problem on a couple of my machines by running the most recent Spybot. Actually, i removed the startup process Updater.exe from the Windows/Current Version/Run key(which through Google led me to believe the computer had a spyware issue) and then it never appeared again.

Hope this helps,
Rusty

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Rusty's method does work. As of yet, I have not found another way to go about getting rid of the OleMainThreadWndName error. It was blocking many of my install attempts as well. If I was trying to install a program on my NT machine, the application that was running would block my installation until I tried logging off. After I chose the "end now" option once or twice, the program would start to install but not for long as my computer would then log me off. After deleting the updater.exe program, everything seems to be working fine. The Sybot method did not seem as fruitful as I found no errors after running the Search and Destroy. Anyone have any idea what this Updater.exe program is and why does it impact logging off on NT machines.

I am also getting this message on the NT4 box. This window appears after a few others - the others are VPIPCLINK, ACTION and SCAN.
I have searched for a file named VPIPCLINK, none found. Also I have ran SPYBOT Complete scan, nothing found.
The system has symantec av up to date, nothing reported on complete scan.

OleMainThreadWndName" is Symantec AV. Here it is.

Solution:
This problem is fixed in Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 9.0.2. For information on obtaining the latest build of Symantec AntiVirus, read How to obtain an update or an upgrade for your Symantec corporate product.

Jericho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back