Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OLE server Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

tziviak

Technical User
Oct 10, 2002
US
I have a report-in which I have an OLE object-from microsoft word-but the ole object doesn't show up when I preview the report-and I get this error:

A problem occured while microsoft access was communicating with the ole server.
Try one or more of the following:
*Make sure you're connectd to the network server where the OLE server application is located.
*Closed the OLE server and restart it outside of Microsoft access. Then try the original operation again from within Microsoft Access.
*Reinstall the OLE server to ensure that its's registered.

This computer isn't part of a network-its a stand-alone pc-I tried uninstalling and reinstalling office xp. What can be the problem?
thank you

I had this sort of error when moving an Access97 (started in Access 2) app to AccessXP. The problem was that the reference to the object was outdated and the ActiveX control didn't exist in my current install of XP. In my case the report looked for an object based on MSChart.ocx. In your case I suspect that your report is looking for an object based on an old version of MSWord or a reference that is missing.

Check your references by hitting [Ctrl] + [G]. Use the menu item Tools | References to see if you have a missing reference.

HTH

Rick

Did you solve this issue? I am having the same issue and I have Office 2003 and Windows XP. I don't have missing references and none of the Norton Anti-virus setting suggestions, in other posts, did the trick.

Please help.

Dawn

Hello All, I just logged in to help. The OLE Server Error was caused for me by creating a report (in Access XP) that contained an OLEobject. In my case a registered trademark symbol (created in word XP i believe). This object was this removed on later pages of the report using a simple VB Script.

When my boss opens the report on his computer (windows 2000) With Access 2000, he gets the OLE Server Error, etc... My solution to this problem is to either create the page on his computer, on on a older version of Access. I know it sounds like HockeyGuy already touched on this, but hopefully it this will help as well. Good luck gentleman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back