Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ole not registered error, access 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelron

Technical User
Apr 9, 2002
US
I know this has been covered, but I cannot find it.

When trying to insert an object link into a form, where "ole type allowed" is set to "link", I get an error that says "The ole server isn't registered. To register the ole, reinstall it."

Did that, reinstalled Access 2000, it worked for a while, now it crashes again. I thought that I saw on this web site mention of a patch from Microsoft to correct this error???

Tried surfing microsoft but couldn't find the solution.
Anyone know about this one??

Thanks, Ron

Hi, I have the same problem. Please HELP!

Best Regards
Daniel

I also have that problem....I have no idea how to register the ole server.....Microsoft was no help to me.....I've seen a similar post to this on almost every forum I've been on and no one has addressed a fix yet...Sorry to say folks.

Rookiedev

check out post 181-293731

I don't know if the fix works yet, if you find that it does kindly post back,

Ron

hie ya,

hey frenz i am not sure but u can try this by registering the dll's or ocx's control which this object uses...hope u r gettin my point

method is
dos prompt:\>
regsvr32 path of file to be registered

i had similar kinda probs..this could also coz of servicepacks u ppl. installed . So, chek if you have latest mdac_typ.exe, latest jet engine 4.0 service pack 6, n all related stuff..i m not sure but it may work coz it worked for me...yesterday nite only..i was facing the prob that after i installed vb service pack 5 whenever i save a form n close it the datacontrols turns into pictureboxes whenever i open it again...so do this all..

even u have all this installed then also u install it again..
my order was
jet4.0 service pack 6
mdac 2.6 for win 2000
vb6.0 service pack 5

it worked for me..hope so it also works for ya..
may be i look pretty out of way..i mean this or that but microsoft is like this only :p :)

-----------------------------------
Its nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Is Norton AV install? *******************************************************
[sub]General remarks:
If this post contains any suggestions for the use or distribution of code, components or files of any sort, it is still your responsibility to assure that you have the proper license and distribution rights to do so!

CCLINT-
YES, NORTONS IS INSTALLED. I HAD PROBLEMS WITH E-MAIL UNTIL I SET THE TIME OUT TO 5 MINS. THE PROBLEM WITH THIS REALLY STARTED AFTER INSTALLING A MICROSOFT CRITICAL UPDATE SECURITY PATCH. THAT WAS A REAL DISASTER....HAD TO UNINSTALL AND REINSTALL ALL MICROSOFT PRODUCTS BEFORE THE PATCH WAS REMOVEDAND E-MAIL WOULD WORK AGAIN....THIS IS WHAT REMAINED AFTER THE RELOAD....OLE NOT REGISTERED PROBLEM.

ROOKIEDEV

I had the exact same problem and I have searched the Microsoft website trying to get an answer to how to fix this. I have had no luck. I guess my biggest problem is that I have no idea how to register it and I have windows 98 not 2000 so I am afraid to try what rohitt suggests. After the disaster with the critical update I am afraid to screw up my system again.
Any help would be appreciated.
RookieDev

You will need Norton 2002 to correct this - otherwise you will have to un-install NAV - (that is if this is causing the problem)

Start Norton System Works and click the icon "Options"

Select "Norton AntiVirus"
Under "System" select "Script blocking"
Deactivate this option.

[/b][/i][/u]*******************************************************[sub]
General remarks:
If this post contains any suggestions for the use or distribution of code, components or files of any sort, it is still your responsibility to assure that you have the proper license and distribution rights to do so!

thanks for that jayplus,

that is the first time I have seen the actual problem identified by microsoft,

the fix proposed however is not accurate, nor is the identified cause / conditions that create the error.

I'm going to try to replicate the error in access xp, maybe I'll get lucky?

Ron

Okay, I have revisited this and based upon the bulletin listed above from microsoft and some changes I made the following works for me in ac2000.

field property of the table is ole object

form control is a bound object frame with its size mode property set to clip and the oleallowed property to either

then when inserting a link at runtime

select paste as link, display icon,

this seems to have corrected the error.

ron

I have had a similar OLE server problem when I changed my database from Access97 to Access2000 and then run it on XP and used AccessXP. After reloading office as the microsoft recommend, the problem was still there. My problem was I was taking information from a report and transferring it to excel (using macros. The problem was if I run the report and then used office links it would work after changing OLE/DAO settings in references. The macro did not work. The problem was you have to specify the FULL path and extension of the output file, that excel is using. This solved my problem

Hi Peeps

(I know this was written to a long time ago)

Assets, it seems your answered may hold key to my latest issue.

I'm storing a database on a subst'd path. When my linked form loads it checks a table for a word document entry. if it exists, update the OLE sourcedoc property and ACTION the object. Loads the file image fine, but when it looses focus "OLE server not registered" error.

Maybe the OLE object doesn't like my subst'd path?

Anyone have some ideas on this, I'd be appreciative of some advice.

BTW At home it works fine on my WinXP and OfficeXP machine, but not at work on a Win98 and Office2002.

Regards

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back