Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OLE-linking pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocan

Programmer
Jun 28, 2004
US
When I link pictures in a form in a OLE object on my computer it will only link the filename(not a picture of the jpg file), but if I do it on my co-workers computer it links the picture. How can I make my computer link the picture & not just the name of the file?

check the references

Hope this helps
Hymn

All the references she has checked I have checked. Would it make I difference I have SP2 & the other computer(that works) has no service pak?

It could. Sometimes the service packs turn out to be disservice packs.

Frank kegley
fkegley@hotmail.com

How are ya ocan . . . . .

The first check to make is to insure the [blue]graphic filters[/blue] are installed:
[ol][li]Find your way to [blue]Add/Remove Programs.[/blue][/li]
[li]Click you [blue]Office application[/blue] then the [blue]Add/Remove[/blue] button (if its Office don't worry . . . you'll be provided with options . . . I'm not sure about Access stand alone so check your manual).[/li]
[li]After a while you'll be presented with some options. Select [purple]Add or Remove Features[/purple].[/li]
[li]In the [blue]Converters & Filters[/blue] section make sure all filters are enabled, or [purple]Run From My Computer[/purple] is Selected. If there all already set you can close out.[/li][/ol]

Graphics in [blue]OLE Objects[/blue] require an associated [blue]Graphics Editor Application[/blue] in order to be displayed, if not you get an icon with name or similar to what you've posted.

Along with the above, the [purple]jpg[/purple] [blue]file association[/blue] has to be set proper as well. If you have a nice editor but the file association is say . . . linked to a viewer (read/view only), then its no show.

You can find out the association directly in the [blue]file associations dialog window[/blue] (usually obtained thru windows explorer), or by opening a [purple]jpg[/purple] in windows explorer and seeing which application opens.

So as a check:
[ol][blue][li]Graphic Filters have to be installed.[/li]
[li]A Graphics Editor Application exists.[/li]
[li]The File Association for [purple]jpg[/purple] has to be set for one of the applications above.[/li][/blue][/ol]

BTW . . . linked or embedded graphics will exponentially blow-up the size of a database, so you may be interested in the alternative solution for storing your graphics below:

How to Display Images in a Form or in a Report Without Storing the Images in a Table

[purple]Good Luck![/purple]

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back