Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OLE DB and Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbarker

Programmer
Sep 8, 2000
US
Setting up a report in OLE DB is pretty straightforward, but when I try to do it with a Query, all I get is ODBC choices. Is there a way to do this with OLE DB? The problem I'm trying to solve is that Crystal is a resource hog with large amounts of data, and I'm thinking maybe I can dump part of the processing onto the server. Any other approaches that might achieve this also?

Sorry this dropped off my radar - with SQL Server I find stored procedures, possibly with parameters to filter the data, as a very effective way to leave the processing on the server. Malcolm

tbarker: What version of CR are you using as my v8 Query Designer does have a native SQL Server connection available? David C. Monks
david.monks@chase-international.com
Accredited Seagate Enterprise Partner

I'm using 8 too. I can make a SQL Server ODBC connection, but not OLE DB. I can do this with Report Designer, as there's an option for Other connections, but not with Query.

I use both 7 and 8 with the SQL Server ODBC connection to stored procs. The sp's can be tweaked for performance easily, and permit you to reduce the size of the dataset that gets read by SCR. I don't use the Crystal Query tool in this setup - it is basically as easy and as quick to write a stored proc, which is more stable and faster than a Crystal Query. Malcolm

tbarker: As I said earlier, with v8 you can access SQL Server via the Crystal Query tool. However it will be a direct native connection rather than OLE DB. Look at the bottom of the list of defined sources to log in to and you should find SQL Server David C. Monks
david.monks@chase-international.com
Accredited Seagate Enterprise Partner

Ok, I need to clarify--I HAVE to use OLE DB, as intelligence for this vendor application is supposedly built into it. Going to a native SQL Server ODBC connection does me no good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back