Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old Windows App is ont working in Windows 98SE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jyotko

Technical User
Jan 17, 2004
US
I have an old database application written in FoxPro (not VFP) that I need to run. It is currently working on several computers and was working on this one until three days ago. This computer is an IBM Thinkpad I series with a 300Mhz porcessor and 128M ram. The program runs locally but must access data on the network in order to test it. Windows native software continues to run fine while this program's process is locked up.

I can access all network drives using explorer and any new windows software. I can run an MSDOS command prompt and browse the network unless I try to run the application that I am having problems with.

I am running Norton Antivirus and Internet security and cannot find any problems. Personal firewall is disabled.

I have run both AdAware and Spybot and the only thing I found was CWS which I cleaned up using CWShredder.

Next I disabled all of the startup files except systray and tried to run it without any luck.

I also did an extraction of just the command.com from the cab files.

Then I tried doing a reinstall of W98SE from the on-disk cab files which did not fix the problem. I had to run this from an MSDOS prompt.

I can't test the application in safe mode because I cannot access the network then.

Any ideas what might be causing this problem? Doctor Watson said it was all in my head.

Incidentally, the network drive for software must be mapped to W if that helps.

Can you run the app if you use Safe mode with Networking (press Shift F8 as "Starting windows 98..." appears on screen and select the option.

John

Sorry, I should have made it more clear, but for some reason, networking is not an option when I start in safe mode.

John

may need to reinstall the old app... if too old, doesn't make registry enties and so the .ini or whatever autoconfig.ba/config.sys entries may have gotten hosed up...

JTB
Senior Microsoft Consultant
MCSE-NT4, MCP+I, MCP-W2K, CCNA, CCDA,
CTE, MCIWD, i-Net+, Network+
(MCSE-W2K in progress)

It can be installed and run on other computers. I tried doing a reinstall and the install program has the same problem.

the only other thing i can think of is have you mapped thw W drive with a DOS command (NET USE) instead of relying only on the windows mapping...

JTB
Senior Microsoft Consultant
MCSE-NT4, MCP+I, MCP-W2K, CCNA, CCDA,
CTE, MCIWD, i-Net+, Network+
(MCSE-W2K in progress)

Thank you JTB. The 'NET USE' command worked. You get a star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back