Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old Users and Mailing Lists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkSL

MIS
Feb 12, 2003
US
Many users come and go at my job, and a lot of them subscribe to mailing lists related to their jobs. However, once they leave the company the lists keep sending them mail, and these auto-mailers don't seem smart enough to remove their e-mail addresses when they get NDRs sent back to them.

The only reason that I know that the e-mail is still hitting my server is because I have NDR Notifications getting sent to me from Exchange. Has anyone found a fix for this situation?

I like having the notifications on, because if a sender accidently mis-types an e-mail address, I get the error and also the attached message which I can redirect to the right person, saving loss of business revenue.

Any ideas?

Mark

what I've done in the past (when an employee leaves the company) is hide their account and put their smtp address into a (hidden) DL called Former Employees. Messages will come in and get dropped without an NDR being generated.

However, this would keep the "real people" that send e-mails from actually knowing that Jane Doe is no longer there, because they wouldn't get a NDR either, right? So they wouldn't realize it was an old e-mail address that couldn't be delivered to and quit sending stuff to it. I guess that there's no easy answer to this dilemma. Thanks again,

Mark

I get the NDR, then uses rules wizard in outlook to forward the mail people that have left to the trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back