Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old SPARCStorage Array 110 problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

reclspeak

IS-IT--Management
Dec 6, 2002
GB
I have a client with an old, old (like 7 years old) Array 110;

ssaadm disp c0 provides the following output;

SPARCstorage Array 110 Configuration
(ssaadm version: 1.20 97/05/14)
Controller path:/devices/sbus@2,0/SUNW,soc@d,10000/SUNW,pln@a0000000,78a833:ctlr
DEVICE STATUS
TRAY 1 TRAY 2 TRAY 3
slot
1 Drive: 0,0 (PCFW) OPEN FAILED Drive: 4,0 (PCFW)
2 Drive: 0,1 (PCFW) NOT READY Drive: 4,1 (PCFW)
3 Drive: 0,2 (PCFW) NOT READY Drive: 4,2 (PCFW)
4 Drive: 0,3 (PCFW) NOT READY Drive: 4,3 (PCFW)
5 Drive: 0,4 (PCFW) NOT READY Drive: 4,4 (PCFW)
6 Drive: 1,0 (PCFW) Drive: 3,0 (PCFW) Drive: 5,0 (PCFW)
7 Drive: 1,1 (PCFW) Drive: 3,1 (PCFW) Drive: 5,1 (PCFW)
8 Drive: 1,2 (PCFW) Drive: 3,2 (PCFW) Drive: 5,2 (PCFW)
9 Drive: 1,3 (PCFW) Drive: 3,3 (PCFW) Drive: 5,3 (PCFW)
10 Drive: 1,4 (PCFW) Drive: 3,4 (PCFW) Drive: 5,4 (PCFW)

Which looks well dodgy. The ssaadm utility doesn't hang with an I/O error, but /var/adm/messages is receiving regular OFFLINE/ONLINE messages. As anticipated, some Veritas plexes are showing NO DEVICE.

Can anyone guide me on the likely diagnosis of the problems with half of Tray 2? Particulary the NOT READY and OPEN FAILED. Is is sufficient to attempt to spin-up the disks individually, or all the disks in the tray. Or is a power-off of the array required before I start thinking duff disks or cables?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

recl

Perhaps try reseating that tray? It seems very coincidental that five neighbouring disks would fail, so it's probably a problem with the backplane.

You could try using ssaadm start to attempt to spin up those disks? Annihilannic.

Thanks for this.

Spinning up the disks didn't quite do the trick, so I downed the server and powered-off the array and started again (which did finally work).

what about the fcoms, maybe something is wrong with it. also check the controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back