Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old Socket 7 AT motherboard and XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

drummerjt

Technical User
Jul 7, 2003
US
Hi,

I'm thinkning of upgrading to XP Pro, but I have on older, socket 7, AT form factor motherboard. Am I going to run into problems?

I'm currently running 98-SE.

Rgds,

- drummerjt

I don't know where this "constant major system failures" thought came from, do not let his opinion influence your decision.

A friend of mine had a Compaq PII 233MHz or close to that (I don't remember the exact MHz), and he put Windows XP on the machine, and it ran just fine. Granted it was a bit on the slower side, but there were never any stability problems!! Used it primarily for internet and word processing, viewed the occasional video file (although choppy no matter which OS you have with that speed cpu).

Go ahead and upgrade, you'll love XP over 98.

Have XP running on test Cyrix 300 with 128MB RAM - AT mobo - runs fine (with all eye candy turned off). My daughter's machine (Cyrix 330, 256MB RAM, AT mobo) runs better, as does my wife's (AMD K6 450, 192MB RAM, AT mobo).
No constant system failures (much more stable than 98 on the same machines).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back