Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

old school... OS 9 question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay9333

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2003
US
Hi, I'm a fairly new mac user (actually, I'm supporting them along with PC's now at my job). I've got an older G3 powerbook I just installed Mac OS 9 on. (It had OS 8 on it. It's too old to take OS X).

I inserted the OS 9.2.2 CD, restarted the computer, and held the "c" key down on the keyboard at startup so that it booted from the CD. I've done this before, and after I do a clean install I restart without holding the "c" key down so that the machine boots to the Hard Drive and then I can eject the CD, and I'm done.

This time, whenever I restart the computer it boots to the CD, even if I don't hold anything down. So whenever I try to eject the OS 9 install CD I get the pop-up message: "The startup disk cannot be removed from the desktop, because it contains the active system software."

I want to boot to the hard drive. I don't know why it auto boots to the cd. How can I get the CD out of there so it boots to the Hard Drive. Any help for a mac newbie would be appreciated

Thanks!

Been a while...but when you hit the power button, try holding the CD eject button in

BD

(the C key forces a start from the CD)

In the Apple menu Control panels Startup Disk change your startup disk to the HD

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Ah, should've looked there first. Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back