Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old question/old answer/but old brain has forgotten!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMCT

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2000
US
Please help if you can;
I have an AIX 5.1 ML3 B50 that had been up for 2+ years. It needed a reboot today which I did. However, the network is very wonky and wont really work now meaning that users cannot telnet in locally or remotely.
I checked to see if inetd was active (I even refreshed it) and from the B50 I can ping the gateway router, BUT the router cannot ping the B50. Same with some workstations.
I tried rerunning rc.tcpip manually which states multiple instances not supported (ok, they're up) and even tried restarting with smit tcpip/minimum config and startup which shows things are already going.
I ran netstat -rn and the output looks normal showing the local subnet, the system, the default route to the gateway.

But for some reason, no one can telnet in. I frazzled.

Any ideas, suggestions, help, valium?

Thanks all.

When you go into smit tcpip is the default gateway specified? That is the only thing I can think of that would cause what you are explaining.

Give us the output of netstat -nr.... I would help a lot...
HTT

I found my old notes from when this same thing happened on an F50 a couple of times a few years ago. Everthing seemed to check out alright but the network just would NOT work. The only way I could revive it was to rmdev the en0 device the do cfgmgr and reconfigure from scratch. Then and only then did it come alive again.

I will be trying that tomorrow AM and post if that was successful. Even if so it is surprising that one would have to resort to that on a 24x7 system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back